How do MD PhD Interviews Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NapoleonBonaparte

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand MD-PhD applications up to the primaries. Just one or two extra essays through AMCAS.

But let's say I get past their secondaries, too (hypothetical!) and I get an interview invite. How do these work for MD-PhD?

Do I interview MD separately and PhD separately? If so, how do they choose which PhD people will grill me on my research? Is it based on similar research interests? Or do I have to look into the departments myself and choose (kind of like normal graduate school applications)? Or is it a combined interview with MD PhD faculty?

I assume the MD portion is the same as regular MD applications. What do they ask in the PhD portion? And is whatever I say in the interview binding? If I say that I did a lot of type A research so I can see myself having a career in that field, but I also have curiosity about type B field, am I forever restricted to type A research?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Each school is different. Some have both MD only and MD/PhD interviews. Others you only have interviews with the MD/PhD committee. Usually you can tell which it is when you get your schedule.

For research, they match you up with your interests or the people you select from the department once invited for an interview. I don't think what you say is binding. It's just an interview lol.

Edit: So many typos in this message lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For every interview I've received I've had to request research interviewers. This means generating a list of full time faculty, be they MDs, PhDs, or MD/PhDs, who you'd like to meet to discuss specifics of your research.

I doubt they will grill you on research but you absolutely need to be confident and knowledgeable about your specific project and the field in general.

Some schools have MD committee specific interviewers while others will have MD/PhD committee interviewers only. I believe at some schools your MD/PhD application never goes through the MD committee.

Research in general is never binding. That would stifle a lot of rich collaboration and crossover.

On average you will interview with 5-7 people over the course of 2 days. They generally fit 4 different categories.

1) MD/PhD admissions committee members, often including program directors
2) MD admissions committee members, possibly in the format of an MMI (Duke and Stanford, for example do this)
3) Researchers in your field of interest
4) Current students

Interviews tend to be relaxed, although you will occasionally get "grilled". Everyone more or less will ask you something about your research. Know in detail what you did and why you did it, including both the broad and narrow questions the research is trying to address. Also, have a good answer for why you want to do a combined program. Showing is always better than telling, so whenever possible include your experiences in your answers. e.g. instead of "I like structural virology research" say "In my first summer fellowship I saw a virus under an electron microscope and I was fascinated by how simple, yet intricate, its structure was. It opened my eyes to a lot of really interesting questions..."

Good luck with your process.

Reactions: 3 users