How do medical school look the clep exams?

Started by vincikai
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vincikai

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do medical school look the clep exams?
I am a junior biochem/ fine art double major, due to time conflict and have English as my second language I have not taken much writing based liberal arts classes. I have only one freshmen writing and one humanity class on my transcript. However I do have a few history/social sciences CLEP exams with score above 70~/80. does any one know AAMC's view about the CLEP?
How do medical school look the clep exams?
I am now quite a bit alarmed by the fact this can greatly hurt my chances in the application cycle.
so...what do i do? take more english writing classes in my junior year? :idea:
 
I think clep is okay as long as it's not in a required class like gen chem or something; I think most med schools want to see that you actually took the class. As far as humanities are concerned I think it's okay to clep those that you can, as long as you leave English (communications) as an actual class since it's required as well. Med schools like to see a well-rounded individual so I think anything in the humanities/arts will help out as well.
 
My English credits are all CLEP, so I've paid close attention to this.

From what I've seen, schools are more concerned about CLEP credit in the science pre-reqs, and care a lot less about English. Many specifically state that if you have CLEP credits in the sciences, you must take an upper-level course, but say nothing about English.

We'll see how this goes. Worse comes to worse I'll take an English or two in the Spring. I also have a lot of other Humanities/Social Science courses that were writing-intensive, so that might help.