How do medical schools view teaching experience?

Started by deleted668917
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted668917

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My teaching experience is the only thing that standouts in my app
 
It has to look good. You are getting leadership experience and many valuable speaking and social skills. It is probably one of the best non clinical extra curriculars. What kind of teaching?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you're aiming for a top school and your teaching experience is the only thing that stands out, you might be in some trouble. But it's all relative. If everything is really strong and your teaching experience is just outta this world, then you're in good shape. But if everything else is just average and your teaching experience is good, then you're probably not in good shape for the top schools.
 
being a teacher would indicate you have a lot of the personal qualities med schools value. They'd be crazy not to look on teaching favorably.
That being said it's not going to salvage a bad overall package.
 
N = 1 here, but...

I'm a high school teacher turned medical student, and I had a very successful cycle. My experiences as a teacher dominated my talking points on the interview trail.

Congrats on being accepted. If it's ok to ask, was wondering what topics about your teaching experience were discussed during interviews? I'm applying next cycle, and I've taught before. Also, were you a part of Teach for America (which seems to be very popular)? Thanks
 
Congrats on being accepted. If it's ok to ask, was wondering what topics about your teaching experience were discussed during interviews? I'm applying next cycle, and I've taught before. Also, were you a part of Teach for America (which seems to be very popular)? Thanks
Not a part of TFA. Got a chemistry teaching job out of undergrad and ran w/ it for a while. Most of my talking points were either things I had accomplished while at the school, or things I had learned from the incredible kids. I had a stint as the head of the science department which was invaluable for questions on leadership. In general, the discussion was very specific to my application. The only question that caught me off guard was from a Resident at Mayo who asked about my philosophy of teaching (which, for the record, is something you write about when you're trying to get a job and then forget about after having the job for X amount of years).
 
Last edited:
Teaching experience can be a good thing, but I think the art is in how you explain/describe it. How will your teaching experience make you a great physician?