How do most FMG obtain green card during/after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donaldtang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a foreign citizen was recently accepted by a residency program that sponsor H1b visa. I am hoping that I can change my status to permanent resident as soon as possible so I have more options for fellowship.
How do most FMG obtain green card during/after residency other than marriage with a citizen? Is it possible that you petition yourself? (EB2 National Interest Waiver or EB4 as physician is included as a type of special immigrants, see http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=724b83453d4a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a foreign citizen was recently accepted by a residency program that sponsor H1b visa. I am hoping that I can change my status to permanent resident as soon as possible so I have more options for fellowship.
How do most FMG obtain green card during/after residency other than marriage with a citizen? Is it possible that you petition yourself? (EB2 National Interest Waiver or EB4 as physician is included as a type of special immigrants, see http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=724b83453d4a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD)

When they get on the faculty after residency, the program sponsors them for GC. That typically works for IM. Complete 3 yrs IM residency, become a hospitalist and enroll as faculty, and get sponsored for GC. Other way is marriage of course. If you were on a J1, then after J1 waiver completion, you can be sponsored for the GC.

Reactions: 1 user
When they get on the faculty after residency, the program sponsors them for GC. That typically works for IM. Complete 3 yrs IM residency, become a hospitalist and enroll as faculty, and get sponsored for GC. Other way is marriage of course. If you were on a J1, then after J1 waiver completion, you can be sponsored for the GC.

Did you find a position? What did you match into?

I think we are talking about different things here. If you train on an H visa, and then after completing training get hired in a permanent job on an H visa, your employer can sponsor you for a GC. This is the easiest way to get a GC, since it basically always works. But, you can't do it while you're a resident (at least I haven't heard of residency programs doing this), you wait until you get your first job. The "EB" pathway is when you try to get a GC for yourself -- a much more difficult path.

Reactions: 1 user
Well if you can invest 0.5 or 1.0 million dollars and create some jobs for Americans, that may land you a GC as well.

How do most FMG obtain green card during/after residency other than marriage with a citizen? Is it possible that you petition yourself? (EB2 National Interest Waiver or EB4 as physician is included as a type of special immigrants.

It has been 6 years. What did you end up doing? what pathway was easier for you?

hey is it common that hospitalists get sponsored for GC after residency, is it complicated process?

It's not a terribly complicated process, and there are no limits or other road blocks. It is a slow process, takes a few years usually. Hospitals usually want to do it, else you have to leave after your visa expires.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not a terribly complicated process, and there are no limits or other road blocks. It is a slow process, takes a few years usually. Hospitals usually want to do it, else you have to leave after your visa expires.
is it like 2-5 years or more like 10+?

Usually about 2. You'll start on an H1b visa. They will apply for the GC somewhere along the line, but they may want to have you work there for 6-12 months first to ensure that you work well there before they start the process. Once they start the process, takes about 1-2 years to complete but can be variable.

Reactions: 2 users
Usually about 2. You'll start on an H1b visa. They will apply for the GC somewhere along the line, but they may want to have you work there for 6-12 months first to ensure that you work well there before they start the process. Once they start the process, takes about 1-2 years to complete but can be variable.

What about FM? Are they easily sponsored for a GC after their residency is done?

Last edited: