How do OB/Gyn PDs screen applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aprilpremed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about how OB/Gyn residency program directors screen applicants to decide who gets an interview? If someone had an above average USMLE Step 1 score, is that a more important factor than class rank? Would a high Step 2 score play a role in getting an interview at a more competitive program?

Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

aprilpremed said:
I have a question about how OB/Gyn residency program directors screen applicants to decide who gets an interview?

Any insight would be very much appreciated!

if you're a us senior, and you submit an application, you'll get an interview. seriously, with so few us seniors entering ob/gyn, if you are an applicant with average, or above average stats, there will be intense competition among programs to land you. from an applicant standpoint it is a buyer's market and there has probably never been an easier time to match in ob/gyn.

best of luck.

actually, i would like to get some info on this also...i am an IMG, so i don't think that i will just get an interview everywhere. but, i would like some better info to guide me on where, how many to apply to.

my stats:
34 y/o male
195/78 step 1
234/95 step 2
top 5% of class
3.9 clinical gpa
3.1 basic sci gpa
3.4 overall
great LOR's from dept chair at my school (czech letter) american PD of FP program, and american chair of ob/gyn dept (but also at the FP program)
strong deans letter
1 oral presentation for some research, assisted on some urogyn research (measured angles on US and did lots of editing)

i plan to apply to several CA programs, actually shotgun most of them. but, what sort of programs do i have a realistic shot of at least getting an interview. say i submit 15 CA applications. how many others and of what caliber should i apply to to make sure i get enough interviews? i am thinking that CA is tough, and i will be pretty happy to get 5 interviews out of 15....i would like to have at least 20 interview offers...any advice?

also, if anybody out there thinks i would have a good shot at the program you are in, send me a PM and give me the scoop. i would love to learn about your program!

thanks!

bump

doing my eras stuff now, and would love some input! how bout all you residents out there? any good info for us?

thanks