Jul 27, 2017
Status
Veterinary Student
Just as the title states..

I'm looking at certain internship sites like The Animal Medical Center in NYC, and they pay a salary of 27k... But this is NYC we're talking here with crazy ass prices. I don't even think the salary after taxes will even cover rent let alone other expenses like food, insurance, etc. How do these hospitals expect these interns to survive??

Coopah

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
Just as the title states..

I'm looking at certain internship sites like The Animal Medical Center in NYC, and they pay a salary of 27k... But this is NYC we're talking here with crazy ass prices. I don't even think the salary after taxes will even cover rent let alone other expenses like food, insurance, etc. How do these hospitals expect these interns to survive??
That particular hospital always advertises that they own their own apartment building and rent them to staff for "below market rates". But other than that I have no idea :shrug:

Reactions: Nalra095

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Behind the green curtains
Status
Veterinarian
That particular hospital always advertises that they own their own apartment building and rent them to staff for "below market rates". But other than that I have no idea :shrug:
lots of roommates. I think @orca2011 was there for a bit? I can't remember. Apologies if I mistagged.

Reactions: Nalra095 and Coopah

JaynaAli

Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different.
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
I lived in Colorado on 28,000. My parents had to help out, since rent alone that year was over $1000/month and my monthly take home pay was only $1800. It was easier for people with significant others. Luckily you’re too busy to really go spend a lot of money.

SocialStigma

OVC c/o 2015
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2009
Midwest, US
Status
Resident [Any Field], Veterinarian
AMC interns (and residents) receive subsidized housing and pretty much everyone lives with roommates.

I lived off of my savings/loans, didn't eat out or go out much, and ate a lot of sandwiches and ramen.

orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Rhode Island
Status
Veterinarian
lots of roommates. I think @orca2011 was there for a bit? I can't remember. Apologies if I mistagged.
Nope, wasn't me. Did my internship up in RI but have a few classmates who went there. But either way, I had roommates (non-vet) intern year. It worked out well until the last few months (one ended up being a bit cray, the other and I still hang out). I was paid more than those at AMC (think it's like 30-32k) and picked up some extra shifts here and there to make a little extra. But otherwise, it's a lot of not eating out and tried to not go out too much.

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Behind the green curtains
Status
Veterinarian
Oh. I believe it was @jmo1012. Think she is/was resident though. still, crap salary. haha

Reactions: Nalra095

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
I mean, plenty of people work close to minimum wage jobs and survive..... just hope you don’t have any medical/dental/veterinary bills you need to pay in the next year, and eat lots of spaghettios... None of that $10 avocado toast for you. Subsidized housing if available, and/or many many roommates.

Go into credit card debt. Use any savings you have. Beg relatives for support. It’s just a continuation of making poor financial choices just like going to vet school in the first place ... I guess you can argue, why stop now?

If you don’t like it, apply to other places with a more reasonable salary to cost of living ratio.

Coopah

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
I mean, plenty of people work close to minimum wage jobs and survive..... just hope you don’t have any medical/dental/veterinary bills you need to pay in the next year, and eat lots of spaghettios... None of that $10 avocado toast for you. Subsidized housing if available, and/or many many roommates.

Go into credit card debt. Use any savings you have. Beg relatives for support. It’s just a continuation of making poor financial choices just like going to vet school in the first place ... I guess you can argue, why stop now?

If you don’t like it, apply to other places with a more reasonable salary to cost of living ratio.
:rofl: but also true, this just has much more impact because there are no loans to make it feel more comfortable

Okimo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I make $30,000 before taxes. I am lucky enough to have a partner with which we do NOT split expenses 50/50. Most people where I work have help from partners or parents. One colleague just signed a lease for 80% of our monthly salary. It's not ideal, but we all make do. You either need to have a lot of roommates, live in a not so great place or part of town, live off of ramen and Kraft mac and cheese, have help from someone else, or more loans. It's kind of a crappy situation all the way around, but we just keep hoping it pays off in the end. If you're hoping to specialize, there's really no way around it.

pinkpuppy9

Illinois c/o 2019
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
:rofl: but also true, this just has much more impact because there are no loans to make it feel more comfortable
This was the thing I had to explain to my now husband/parents when I was talking about how I was worried about making ends meet (Tampa is more expensive than I thought when I ranked honestly, and my husband is looking for a job still so I'm alone here with my expenses). "You've been broke for four years and haven't been worried like this before, what's the problem now?" Uhhh, I was forked over like $5-6,000 at the beginning of each semester and in a town with significantly lower COL. Currently, my rent is $1300 in a somewhat sketchy area. Can't have roommates because I have too many pets to make it reasonable, so I'm hoping hubs can get down here soon. I knew I wouldn't be financially comfortable, but it's still a stressor. I'm looking forward to my 6 month mark, at that point we're allowed to pick up ER shifts and make up to $1000 a shift apparently.

Most graduating vets can't even move to these internships without financial help, it's kind of crazy. My pre-vet internship gave me a moving stipend for pete's sake. My husband had to pay to rent my Penske and cover gas for my car and said Penske. I think in the next 5 years, there will be real pushing for some salary improvement, especially for the corporate hospitals. AAVMC is already looking into ways to 'certify' internships that are legit programs or something like that, which is a good start to hopefully weed out some of the 'cheap labor' internships out there.

I'm still peeved that Mars (Banfield, VCA, Bluepearl) upped their VCA intern salaries by $10k nationwide for this year but us Bluepearl folks didn't get the same generosity.

Reactions: SkiOtter and Coopah

Okimo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm still peeved that Mars (Banfield, VCA, Bluepearl) upped their VCA intern salaries by $10k nationwide for this year but us Bluepearl folks didn't get the same generosity.
I'm pretty sure resident salaries haven't changed at my program for 10 years... one day, I'll make a livable wage!

JaynaAli

Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different.
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
Luckily my current program has been pretty good about increasing salaries. They aren’t great but better than most academic positions, especially given COL here being relatively low. Most of the increases have been driven by increasing salary requirements for foreign nationals though, trying to make it fair for everyone. When I first started the foreign nationals were getting like $5k more per year than US citizens, so everyone got a raise. But now they really don’t accept foreign nationals anymore because they can’t afford to keep increasing the salaries.

My internship was the lowest paid VCA position at the time. The next year’s interns got a 2k raise...when my intern mates and I jokingly complained we were told that 2k wasn’t that much, to which we replied that it was almost a 10% raise which is pretty significant!

Reactions: Coopah

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
My internship was the lowest paid VCA position at the time. The next year’s interns got a 2k raise...when my intern mates and I jokingly complained we were told that 2k wasn’t that much [...]
In which case it shouldn’t be a problem for them to grant it...? It really isn’t that much in the grand scheme of things. At a VCA in my area, they were paying $150/hr to relief vets for ANY doctor who was willing to relief in the ER. So a 2k raise for a year for an intern who acts as a warm body in the ER should be easy to do...

Trilt

puppy snuggler extraordinaire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
In which case it shouldn’t be a problem for them to grant it...? It really isn’t that much in the grand scheme of things. At a VCA in my area, they were paying $150/hr to relief vets for ANY doctor who was willing to relief in the ER. So a 2k raise for a year for an intern who acts as a warm body in the ER should be easy to do...
But then the interns might get ideas that they're worth something and nobody wants that...

:rolleyes:

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
But then the interns might get ideas that they're worth something and nobody wants that...

:rolleyes:
Lol that is VCA’s MO. They have “valuable” doctors who they give the world to, and “the ugly stepchild” doctors who get the **** end of the stick at every hospital. Interns don’t even make it in that scheme.

Reactions: Coopah