How do Pod schools view gpa trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshualander

Reaction score
Hello,

I apologize if this question has been posted before. I searched forums but did not find anything answering my question.
My question is do pod schools factor gpa into the application based on a per semester basis? The first 1/2 of my undergrad was poorly done on my part. I had family issues and lost focus on school. Below is the calculated gpas for each semester based on pod school standards. Keep in mind it took me many years to complete my associates and then transfer to university. My cGPA currently is around 2.85 and my sGPA is 2.55. I posted in another thread that with taking a few more sciences and finishing my degree I’ll raise my cGPA to 3.05 and sGPA to 2.85 by the end with an A- in each class.
My expected graduation is spring 2022 and I wanted to apply this august when admissions open but I most likely won’t unless I feel compelled to for an additional reason. Just curious as to what adcoms might think based on my gpa trend. Please find a file attached listing the gpa per semester. Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• GPA trend per semester.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 142
Just do well on your MCAT, get A's in your remaining classes, and be prepared to discuss the issues you mentioned during your interviews. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I posted in another thread that with taking a few more sciences and finishing my degree I’ll raise my cGPA to 3.05 and sGPA to 2.85 by the end with an A- in each class.
I think most here would discourage using hypothetical stats. It's like saying how much you can bench press based on a 5 rep max calculator.

I think science GPA cutoff for podiatry is a range between 2.5-2.75?
Definitely put in the time for the MCAT...you may surprise yourself! Definitely recommend using a couple months for full-time study, with Anki and a couple q-banks (and full-length packs)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think most here would discourage using hypothetical stats. It's like saying how much you can bench press based on a 5 rep max calculator.

Definitely put in the time for the MCAT...you may surprise yourself! Definitely recommend using a couple months for full-time study, with Anki and a couple q-banks (and full-length packs)
I sometimes hesitate telling myself hypothetical stats but I always find myself competing against myself and those stats so it has helped me a bit but you're certainly right! I have begun preparation for the MCAT as of yesterday with researching which books to use, tools available, etc.. and in fact discovered anki. It seems absolutely amazing! Thanks for your feedback!

I sometimes hesitate telling myself hypothetical stats but I always find myself competing against myself and those stats so it has helped me a bit but you're certainly right! I have begun preparation for the MCAT as of yesterday with researching which books to use, tools available, etc.. and in fact discovered anki. It seems absolutely amazing! Thanks for your feedback!
I'm attaching a free resource for you...it's the kaplan quicksheets which are a condensed version of their books. It has basically almost all of the content and equations you must know for the MCAT (except for P/S, but a good chunk of the high yield stuff is in here). If you want a physical copy, it's $5 on ebay.

The expensive Kaplan books can be a bit overkill unless you're really struggling to nail a certain topic...but q-banks can help fill in the gaps anyway.

Attachments

• ktp-mcat-quicksheets (4).pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 99
I'm attaching a free resource for you...it's the kaplan quicksheets which are a condensed version of their books. It has basically almost all of the content and equations you must know for the MCAT (except for P/S, but a good chunk of the high yield stuff is in here). If you want a physical copy, it's $5 on ebay.

The expensive Kaplan books can be a bit overkill unless you're really struggling to nail a certain topic...but q-banks can help fill in the gaps anyway.
THIS IS AWESOME! Thanks a lot! I'll certainly put this to good use:)

I don't think there is a real cut-off GPA that the programs are looking for. The average Sci GPA of accepted students is around 3.1+
I agree with you in regards to OPs MCAT prep.

@joshualander make sure to get the AAMC materials for your MCAT prep; do check out Khan academy on youtube; and probably the Uworld ques. Visit the MCAT thread in the pre-med forum for study tips/schedules/etc. Good luck!

I don't think there is a real cut-off GPA that the programs are looking for. The average Sci GPA of accepted students is around 3.1+
I agree with you in regards to OPs MCAT prep.

@joshualander make sure to get the AAMC materials for your MCAT prep; do check out Khan academy on youtube; and probably the Uworld ques. Visit the MCAT thread in the pre-med forum for study tips/schedules/etc. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips! I’m definitely gonna grab the AAMC bundle available and I’ll be checking out the khan academy videos soon. I’ve used them for plenty of undergrad classes so I’m sure I’ll continue to benefit from them for the mcat.