How do program directors view repeat applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coldplay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an IMG and will be reapplying for this years match. I have a couple of questions:

1. Will PDs know that I am a repeat applicant? I've heard that if I re-upload the LORs and MSPE/ transcript the documents would have a recent date & they wouldn't know that I am a repeat applicant. Is that so?

2. How do programs view repeat applicants? Is it a red flag?

Thank you : ). All the best to everyone applying this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Not favorably.

1. PDs generally do the math. You graduated 2013, yet are in the match with 2014 grads. Occasionally, IMGs do not go into the match on their first eligible year, but usually have to explain why not.

There are PDs and programs that don't pay attention to these details (I certainly did not in my first year), but I wouldn't count on oversight. Better to write a convincing story that explains it all. Looks a lot better.

Not favorably.

1. PDs generally do the math. You graduated 2013, yet are in the match with 2014 grads. Occasionally, IMGs do not go into the match on their first eligible year, but usually have to explain why not.

There are PDs and programs that don't pay attention to these details (I certainly did not in my first year), but I wouldn't count on oversight. Better to write a convincing story that explains it all. Looks a lot better.

Write a convincing story where? In your personal statement?im an img that did not participte in my eligble match yr due my cs being late and no ck result. I decided i would wait til this year and apply with everything on the first day. Does this have to be explained in personal statement u r saying? Looking at match statistics many IMGs matched 2-4 years post graduation?

Write a convincing story where? In your personal statement?im an img that did not participte in my eligble match yr due my cs being late and no ck result. I decided i would wait til this year and apply with everything on the first day. Does this have to be explained in personal statement u r saying? Looking at match statistics many IMGs matched 2-4 years post graduation?

With that kind of grammar nobody will accept you. Improve your grammar.

With that kind of grammar nobody will accept you. Improve your grammar.

I do not know why you are judging my grammar Over9000. Unless you have something relevant to say related to the topic at hand, don't butt in and post as it is not helpful to anyone. This is not my personal statement, is it over9000?Is this a research paper that I plan on publishing over9000? No it is not. I post quick replies on my phone, and honestly I don't care if my grammar is perfect. By the way, I am an US IMG, so nice try implying I don't know how to speak or write proper English. Don't be so quick to judge Over9000.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There is no way to automatically see if someone is a repeat applicant. The only way I know is to look at last year's application list. If we interviewed someone and then didn't match them, I'm much more likely to remember that (in fact, it's almost guaranteed that someone will notice). If we simply rejected an applicant, especially if it was for lack of minimum criteria (like no CK score), then I almost certainly won't notice, as I probably barely looked at the application last year.

So:

1. You applied and were not offered an interview, reapplying is mostly a waste of time unless you've done something that you think will really change the flavor of your application.

2. You applied and were offered an interview, ranked, and then didn't match -- very low yield in reapplying. You were not ranked, or ranked low enough so that they did not match you. Chances are you will be rejected, or have the same thing happen.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no way to automatically see if someone is a repeat applicant. The only way I know is to look at last year's application list. If we interviewed someone and then didn't match them, I'm much more likely to remember that (in fact, it's almost guaranteed that someone will notice). If we simply rejected an applicant, especially if it was for lack of minimum criteria (like no CK score), then I almost certainly won't notice, as I probably barely looked at the application last year.

So:

1. You applied and were not offered an interview, reapplying is mostly a waste of time unless you've done something that you think will really change the flavor of your application.

2. You applied and were offered an interview, ranked, and then didn't match -- very low yield in reapplying. You were not ranked, or ranked low enough so that they did not match you. Chances are you will be rejected, or have the same thing happen.

Thank you for your input.

Could it be that I missed out on interviews by applying late? Or perhaps, my application was filtered out due to delayed CK result? My result came in October so a lot of programs must have filtered out my application. My scores are 234 and 218 in step 1 & CK, no attempts. I have 1 US lor. 7 publications + an observership lined up for September.
In light of this additional information, do you still feel its a waste of time & money to reapply? Thanks again. I will appreciate your input :).

My interviews had gone really well last year. I even got those "love letter" emails. But I guess they didn't matter. I applied for Peds only so there were only 6-8 positions in the programs that interviewed me.

Coldplay,

Can you post how many programs you applied to and how many interviews you attended?
How many months of US clinical experience do you have?
Do you need a visa?

Based on what you said, it seems your step 2ck is below average for Peds. Step 2ck match average for US Img was 224 while for Non US IMG it was 231. Your step 1 score is good though. Wish you the best of luck this next time around.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am an IMG and will be reapplying for this years match. I have a couple of questions:

1. Will PDs know that I am a repeat applicant? I've heard that if I re-upload the LORs and MSPE/ transcript the documents would have a recent date & they wouldn't know that I am a repeat applicant. Is that so?

2. How do programs view repeat applicants? Is it a red flag?

Thank you : ). All the best to everyone applying this year.

Usually a couple of PDs/assistant PDs will read through all the applications. If you had something about yours that stood out, they will remember you. If you had nothing about yours that stood out, you wouldn't be getting an interview anyhow. So you'd need to be in that middle grey zone. As mentioned, if you got to the interview stage previously you are likely to be remembered. If you didn't get the nod previously, you would need to have done something pretty impressive to be higher on the rank list this time around. I would put the majority of your emphasis on places that hadn't seen your application yet, as well as any place you have strong, helpful contacts.

Yes, many do match 2-4 years out due to Clinical experience, board prep etc. And yes, I would add this explanation in your PS. It doesn't have to be long, it just has to be there. Alternatively, you can simply put all your time-between activities in your CV so that it is clear what you were doing. 1-2 years is not going to be a big gap to explain. 3-4 years starts to seem excessive (to me) and beyond 4 years, good luck.

I matched 7 years after finishing med school. I did a residency back home that have no thing to do with the specialty I did here. My scores are freezing low. The funny thing I had no USCE. May be my GC helped me as well as having prior non-related clinical experience. Never give up. The secret is to apply widely and target weak specialties and community hospitals.

Thank you for your input.

Could it be that I missed out on interviews by applying late? Or perhaps, my application was filtered out due to delayed CK result? My result came in October so a lot of programs must have filtered out my application. My scores are 234 and 218 in step 1 & CK, no attempts. I have 1 US lor. 7 publications + an observership lined up for September.
In light of this additional information, do you still feel its a waste of time & money to reapply? Thanks again. I will appreciate your input :).

My interviews had gone really well last year. I even got those "love letter" emails. But I guess they didn't matter. I applied for Peds only so there were only 6-8 positions in the programs that interviewed me.

Hi, I know I am posting on this thread after 3 years, but I wanted to know about your "love letters" from programs. What did they write to you? I am a repeat applicant, and I got love letters from the programs this year, that said things like "hoping to work with you" etc. Did you get the same thing? Are you matched now? Thanks

How do programs view repeat applicants?

If there are significant changes for the better, then a PD may change their mind. I can't say how frequently, but probably not all that frequent. During residency, I heard about an applicant who had little or no US clinical experience who reapplied after a couple years of clinical research that allowed her to gain experience that could be viewed as clinical experience, and significantly improve her English skills. She was ranked much, much higher than previous application year.

Reactions: 1 user