How Do Radiologic Technologists (RT) help Radiologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OwlMyste

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

I've done some research into what RT's do, as well as what pay they receive also. I've looked at the asrt.org website and even read their FAQ's. Part of my research is to ask the Radiologists what they think about the RT's. Any helpful opinions would be appreciated. That way I would know what I am getting myself into.:cool: :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a radiologist, but I've worked with many and done a lot of work with MRI which uses a form of RT.

RTs really help the rads focus on the interpretation of images. Without RTs, rads would have to spend a significant amount of time learning about how the particular MRI machine works.

Rads people understand the basics, but the RT I have found generally is superior in intuitive understanding of how to get the best scan under varying conditions of subtlety.

RTs dont know how to interpret the images they generate, but generally they are extremely knowledgeable (moreso than rads) about HOW the images are generated.

They have a terrific understanding of the hundreds of parameters that go into an MRI pulse sequence, moreso than most rads. MRI is probably the most technically intense diagnostic modality in all of medicine. RTs bridge the gap from what the images mean (radiologists' work) vs how to acquire the different images which will help the rads do their work.

I mostly agree with the above. Simply put, technologists use imaging devices to produce images for radiologists to interpret medically. They have an important job in producing high quality imaging for the physician. In addition, technologists are generally very familiar with the particular device that they use-- they know the intimate specifics of a particular machine.

Having said that, in terms of the fundamentals of image production which MacGyver is alluding to (i.e. for MR, specific pulse sequences appropriate for imaging different anatomy/pathology), in my experience radiologists are very knowledgeable. Although not everybody is a phd in physics, rads residency includes a lot about the principles of imaging, especially in the context of how to effectively image different pathology (and what is NOT seen...). The radiology dept. is a team environment, not a competition, and I have met some techs who are very knowledgeable, but ultimately the decision about how to best image something ("protocoling") -- as well as the imaging dignosis -- is made by the radiologist. In addition, it has mainly been radiologists & other physicians (and basic scientists) who have contributed to advances in imaging, and it is the radiologist who is responsible for ensuring that his/her facility stays on the technological (and medical-diagnostic) cutting edge through continuing education/improvements.

This is not to minimize the fact that techs, over time develop a wealth of practical experience in imaging (i.e. patient positioning, workflow maximization, machine parameters, etc.) that ultimately contributed to a efficiently running imaging facility. You can often see the difference betwen images produced by a seasoned tech vs. a new graduate.

In my experience, the MDs and techs have different types of knowledge when it comes to imaging, and both are essential in the running of a radiology department. The centers I have worked in have had very collegial environments.