Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
I am a current optometry student that has had a lot of eye problems in the past. By this, I mean that I have had 7 surgeries on one eye, including a macular hole repair...my question is this:
I recently went to a local doctor's office, one that was close to my home and had an appointment the following day (I was leaving town, and the first 4 places I called were booked for at least 2 days out). I went there, and I recieved an Rx for a new pair of glasses...The problem is I can't see out of them at all...I was given a +150 -250 (!!!!!) x180 for the right eye (that has had a lot of knife time, and has no astig at all) and I was wondering how this happened..until I realized this: I was NEVER seen by a doctor...😱
The person that wrote the Rx was an optician, and I was basically just put into an auto-refractor, had a very shotty Mono refraction, and I was out the door in 15 minutes...it was very cheap (I think $25, but the glasses were more expensive) I have the frames, but I will be going to the school clinic to get another Rx for them...
So....what I want to know is whether that is legal? I assumed that only a doctor can write an Rx? Is this incorrect? How does someone make that kind of mistake is the Rx?
The scariest part...they probably gave out a bunch of other terrible Rx's today!!!
Thanks for the input!!!
I am a current optometry student that has had a lot of eye problems in the past. By this, I mean that I have had 7 surgeries on one eye, including a macular hole repair...my question is this:
I recently went to a local doctor's office, one that was close to my home and had an appointment the following day (I was leaving town, and the first 4 places I called were booked for at least 2 days out). I went there, and I recieved an Rx for a new pair of glasses...The problem is I can't see out of them at all...I was given a +150 -250 (!!!!!) x180 for the right eye (that has had a lot of knife time, and has no astig at all) and I was wondering how this happened..until I realized this: I was NEVER seen by a doctor...😱
The person that wrote the Rx was an optician, and I was basically just put into an auto-refractor, had a very shotty Mono refraction, and I was out the door in 15 minutes...it was very cheap (I think $25, but the glasses were more expensive) I have the frames, but I will be going to the school clinic to get another Rx for them...
So....what I want to know is whether that is legal? I assumed that only a doctor can write an Rx? Is this incorrect? How does someone make that kind of mistake is the Rx?
The scariest part...they probably gave out a bunch of other terrible Rx's today!!!
Thanks for the input!!!
thats soo awful!!!! Why didn't you go to your school's clinic? Wouldn't it be free since you are a student?
I know when I was on externship one of my preceptors routinely did not check some of my patients (mostly IOP checks though), just discussed the case with me and we sent the patient on their way without seeing the doctor.