how do they calculate the "average time per question in seconds" on AAMC reports

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naixin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although this seems trival, I'm wondering how they calculate the "average time per question in seconds" on AAMC practice test reports. I noticed that I always have a bigger number for verbal than for BS/PS (like 300 vs 80, there are some fluctuations) until I did AAMC 11 today. I got similar numbers in time (around 80 in all three sections). The only difference I can think of is that I read passages faster this time. Before I subvocalized word by word, read slowly to understand. This time I read faster so that I can have more time on the questions. But no matter what I do, my verbal keeps at 7. Also my BS/PS is the same range (13-14 because of some stupid mistakes) for almost all the AAMC I did. I usually have time 5-10 mins left on bs/ps to check, no time left on VR. It is weird I felt that I spent more time per question on AAMC 11 VR than on other tests.
The reports posted I've seem at this forum are around 70-80 on all sections. Why do I have such a big number in the previous time on VR, taking too much time reading passages (probably around 4 mins)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think it really says much.

The best standard to seeing how much time you have left when you finish the section. If you have 4-6 mins, you're doing great (i'm pretty average and was still managing 10-15 mins on the sciences)