how do u guys get LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to community college so my professors know me very well.
In my chemistry class, we started with 25 students(maximum) and 15 people dropped after 2 weeks. so 10 students were left, 5 out of 10 people got an A(i am one of them), 3 people got C, and 2 others failed XD.
anyway, so my professors know me very well, but if u guys attend a big institution with more than 300 students per class, how can professors know u well and write a recommandation? I just think it's impossible.

one more question(off the topic). My english class had 20 students and my professor was either lazy or normal so it took at least 2~3 weeks for him to grade our essays. if 20 student's essay + other classes he teaches take 2~3 weeks to finish grading our essays, what about the english class from a big institution like over 300 students? wouldn't it take almost 5 months per essay to be graded? I had total of 5 essays in my class so it took about 5~6months to finish that course and get my grade. I wonder how u guys professor grade ur english essays.

Members don't see this ad.

joonkimdds said:
In my chemistry class, we started with 25 students(maximum) and 15 people dropped after 2 weeks. so 10 students were left, 5 out of 10 people got an A(i am one of them), 3 people got C, and 2 others failed XD.
anyway, so my professors know me very well, but if u guys attend a big institution with more than 300 students per class, how can professors know u well and write a recommandation? I just think it's impossible.

one more question(off the topic). My english class had 20 students and my professor was either lazy or normal so it took at least 2~3 weeks for him to grade our essays. if 20 student's essay + other classes he teaches take 2~3 weeks to finish grading our essays, what about the english class from a big institution like over 300 students? wouldn't it take almost 5 months per essay to be graded? I had total of 5 essays in my class so it took about 5~6months to finish that course and get my grade. I wonder how u guys professor grade ur english essays.

say excuse me sir, i was applying to dental school and i wanted to know if you could write me a letter of reccommendation? a positive one?

dentwannabe said:
say excuse me sir, i was applying to dental school and i wanted to know if you could write me a letter of reccommendation? a positive one?

Then he may gonna ask "what's ur name?" :D

Members don't see this ad :)

If the person has to ask your name or even what you have been doing, then I wouldn't want them to write a letter of recommendation. In reality, very few professors at any school are going to have time to learn your curriculum vitae or for you to reinvent yourself during office hours. It just saves time and a lot of hassle to pick someone who can get the job done quickly and competently and allow everyone to move on with their lives. Really, I just dropped my LOR forms off, exchange handshakes, and went to class or the library because the people I asked knew who I was, knew dentistry was the goal, and new when the app dates were coming.

If you can get someone else who knows you "better" to write the LOR, then I would advise doing it so that you can focus on classes, interviewing, and ultimately where you want to go to dental school. Given all the time and money involved in applying to dental school, there is minimal net gain in stressing out over LOR's. I hope you don't have any problems getting the LOR and get the dental school of choice. Take care and GOD bless.

grant555 said:

If the person has to ask your name or even what you have been doing, then I wouldn't want them to write a letter of recommendation. In reality, very few professors at any school are going to have time to learn your curriculum vitae or for you to reinvent yourself during office hours. It just saves time and a lot of hassle to pick someone who can get the job done quickly and competently and allow everyone to move on with their lives. Really, I just dropped my LOR forms off, exchange handshakes, and went to class or the library because the people I asked knew who I was, knew dentistry was the goal, and new when the app dates were coming.

If you can get someone else who knows you "better" to write the LOR, then I would advise doing it so that you can focus on classes, interviewing, and ultimately where you want to go to dental school. Given all the time and money involved in applying to dental school, there is minimal net gain in stressing out over LOR's. I hope you don't have any problems getting the LOR and get the dental school of choice. Take care and GOD bless.

Thanks...but..really....God bless me~!!!
my CHM111 teacher = retired
my CHM112 teacher = it was the first and the last time of teaching(part time job...-_-;;)
BIO and physics....I hope they r not too old...-_-;;

My professor asked my name because i was always late =(. Thats one way.

joonkimdds said:

this is a stupid question. You ask. That's how you get your LORs.....

and yes I went to a 300+ kids a class school.

jay228 said:
this is a stupid question. You ask. That's how you get your LORs.....

and yes I went to a 300+ kids a class school.

Jay~ I am not asking such a stupid question. I am not gonna lower my chance of getting good LOR by just asking random professors who don't even know me well.

joonkimdds said:
Jay~ I am not asking such a stupid question. I am not gonna lower my chance of getting good LOR by just asking random professors who don't even know me well.

yes it is a stupid question! what do you want us to reply with? some magical formula that effects a: if I do this song and dance routine, I will get a great LOR ?!?

No, get to know a few professors, pick out one that you would like a letter from, and then ask.

oh and by the way, LORs is probably one of the LEAST important parts of your application.

jay228 said:
yes it is a stupid question! what do you want us to reply with? some magical formula that effects a: if I do this song and dance routine, I will get a great LOR ?!?

No, get to know a few professors, pick out one that you would like a letter from, and then ask.

oh and by the way, LORs is probably one of the LEAST important parts of your application.

Maybe he wants tips on things to do so that a professor will remember you and want to write you a letter of recommendation two years after you've had him/her.

joonkimdds said:

Wow, you are something else. Get a clue!

I got all mine by picking a teacher who seemed nice and going to office hours a couple times during the semester and talking to them about class, their research (they always love to talk about their research), and anything else. At the end of the semester, just ask for a letter and they are usually happy to oblige. Good luck.

joonkimdds said:

well, it's your responsibility to get to know your professor...if you don't, then it's your loss...

however, some professors are willing to work with you even if they don't know you...if you've perform well in their class, they may set up an 'interview' time with you to talk to you about your plans...that way, they can get a feel for the type of person you are...

some may just tell you they don't know you, so they won't write one...it depends on who...but it's your responsibility to get to know them if you want one from them...

Joon, are you curious about what we do when we're in larger classes or are you asking for advice for yourself?

If you're asking just out of curiousity, I'll be honest. It can be a pain when you go to a large school like I do...you have to try extra hard to get to know the professors...I visited professors in office hours and everything.

In terms of grading, a lot of professors get help either from Graduate Student Instructors or just outside graders. THe professors don't always grade all the papers themselves.

If you're asking advice for yourself, I wouldn't worry too much. It seems like you're already getting to know your professors. However, if you get put into some larger classes later on in your college career, just try to be genuine about wanting to learn and make a good impression on your professors...see them outside of class for help, etc...most professors are happy to write letters.

I know you're getting an early start on this, but good luck. I'm sure that with all the research you've been doing already, you'll be just fine.

joonkimdds said:
Thanks...but..really....God bless me~!!!
my CHM111 teacher = retired
my CHM112 teacher = it was the first and the last time of teaching(part time job...-_-;;)
BIO and physics....I hope they r not too old...-_-;;

You shouldn't be asking those professors anyway. You should ask your Organic Chemistry professor, and an advanced Bioilogy professor(Developmental, Micro, cell,etc)...think upper level not introductory courses

airvent said:
You shouldn't be asking those professors anyway. You should ask your Organic Chemistry professor, and an advanced Bioilogy professor(Developmental, Micro, cell,etc)...think upper level not introductory courses

I heard that Math is also one of the science classes, so then can i ask my Calculus Honor professor?

In large classes, sit in the front most days and go to the prof's office hours every now and again. He'll remember you.

Like someone else mentioned, you want letters from science teachers. I tended to only go after prof's with a "Dr. " in front of their name.