How do veterinarians play a role in the genetic engineering of vaccines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AniSci

AniSci
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was looking at the SDN page for (specifically UTK) the interview questions that might be asked, and one of them was: "How do veterinarians play a role in the genetic engineering of vaccines?"

How would you answer this? This would likely be one of those questions that would really trip me up.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was looking at the SDN page for (specifically UTK) the interview questions that might be asked, and one of them was: "How do veterinarians play a role in the genetic engineering of vaccines?"

How would you answer this? This would likely be one of those questions that would really trip me up.
you either say that you do not know but give suggestions about what you think might be happening or you answer to the best of your knowledge.

This was likely a question based on a specific application.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dy and LIS, your profile pics are so similar, I was wondering why Dy responded again with extra sass.

Reactions: 4 users
The most important way by which vets contribute to vaccine development is by serving as primary test subjects for the vaccines. All good vets will test vaccines on themselves before they try them on their patients. Human models of disease have become increasingly popular in recent years, as they reliably replicate animal diseases, creating important avenues for the future development of life-saving veterinary drugs.

Similarly, as per this veterinarian's website detailing proper procedure for choosing appropriate dental chews for canine patients, "If you hit your self in the knee with the object and it hurts, it’s probably too hard/heavy for your dog."

(But actually - I would assume they're looking for a) some vets go into research and might directly develop or test different recombinant vaccines in the lab, b) clinical testing, c) more broadly, by helping to collect and report data that can be used by researchers to know which vaccines they should be working on, which might be good candidates for recombinant gene editing, etc)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
All good vets will test vaccines on themselves before they try them on their patients.

Why would I want to inject a dog vaccine into myself?

I must be a bad vet cause I never gave myself the purevax 3 year rabies when it first came out.

(I'm really hoping this was a joke, but couldn't tell based on what followed, because the knee-whack test IS a good way to explain it to owners)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The most important way by which vets contribute to vaccine development is by serving as primary test subjects for the vaccines. All good vets will test vaccines on themselves before they try them on their patients. Human models of disease have become increasingly popular in recent years, as they reliably replicate animal diseases, creating important avenues for the future development of life-saving veterinary drugs.

Similarly, as per this veterinarian's website detailing proper procedure for choosing appropriate dental chews for canine patients, "If you hit your self in the knee with the object and it hurts, it’s probably too hard/heavy for your dog."

(But actually - I would assume they're looking for a) some vets go into research and might directly develop or test different recombinant vaccines in the lab, b) clinical testing, c) more broadly, by helping to collect and report data that can be used by researchers to know which vaccines they should be working on, which might be good candidates for recombinant gene editing, etc)

Haha! Thank you! To be honest, I was a little confused by this question because I've never heard of the term "genetically engineering vaccines" in that specific term, but I've been introduced to the concept I guess through my other classes. But I guess I was looking into it too deeply as a question. So they're just looking for an answer like how you'd answer "What role to vets play in public health"?

Haha! Thank you! To be honest, I was a little confused by this question because I've never heard of the term "genetically engineering vaccines" in that specific term, but I've been introduced to the concept I guess through my other classes. But I guess I was looking into it too deeply as a question. So they're just looking for an answer like how you'd answer "What role to vets play in public health"?

As a serious answer, I believe most, if not all, vaccines are genetically engineered nowadays (if I'm remembering genetics correctly).

Fun fact: neopar straight to the back of your hand isn't bad; distemper to the back of your hand stings; and distemper into your knuckle sucks so bad.

Yes, that's what I'm pretty sure of, too. I believe it's so they're more specific to what they're trying to control and so that they don't got crazy and cause more issues than they help prevent when they're given? I had a professor in undergrad that was a veterinarian (she was doing research as well at that point in her career) and she taught us a bit about it.
But that was a while ago. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the help! (And the laughs!)

As a serious answer, I believe most, if not all, vaccines are genetically engineered nowadays (if I'm remembering genetics correctly).

What are you considering genetically engineered?

Most vaccines are still modified live or killed vaccines, and under most people's definitions those don't really fall under genetically engineered.

Recombinant vaccines are still a minority

Like dyachei said, I'm pretty sure this was a question for a particular applicant who talked about genetically engineered vaccines, not one aimed specifically at all applicants. So in that case I have a feeling they were looking for answers pertaining to genetically engineered vaccines, not a general answer about public health.

If you don't know what a genetically engineered vaccine is, just say so. That shouldn't count against you. It's up to you at that point if you wanted to redirect and talk about the role of veterinarians in developing vaccines in general.

But it would be awkward if they were asking you about veterinarians' roles in developing technologically advanced vaccines, and you just started talking about how thanks to vets vaccinating dogs for rabies, we have very few people dying of rabies in this country.

What are you considering genetically engineered?

Most vaccines are still modified live or killed vaccines, and under most people's definitions those don't really fall under genetically engineered.

Recombinant vaccines are still a minority

I stand corrected. I was under the t impression that killed vaccines were that way because the viral DNA/RNA was removed, which would be generic engineering in a sense to me. But I'm getting this from basically a single lecture in genetics where my professor made it sound as if the recombinant vaccines were the norm now. If I'm remembering this wrong, I'm remembering it wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was reading this post and I was all set to ho hum over it and contemplate the deep and necessary information I was about to receive. Then I realized I was being played.

Like dyachei said, I'm pretty sure this was a question for a particular applicant who talked about genetically engineered vaccines, not one aimed specifically at all applicants. So in that case I have a feeling they were looking for answers pertaining to genetically engineered vaccines, not a general answer about public health.

If you don't know what a genetically engineered vaccine is, just say so. That shouldn't count against you. It's up to you at that point if you wanted to redirect and talk about the role of veterinarians in developing vaccines in general.

But it would be awkward if they were asking you about veterinarians' roles in developing technologically advanced vaccines, and you just started talking about how thanks to vets vaccinating dogs for rabies, we have very few people dying of rabies in this country.

Yeah, that's what I suspected as well. Just like I came across a lot of questions geared to large-animal medicine and I have that written nowhere in my application haha. I have a terrible feeling my answer to every question will be, "I don't know.". D: This is my first ever official interview & I can't help but be quite nervous, despite trying to calm down.

I was reading this post and I was all set to ho hum over it and contemplate the deep and necessary information I was about to receive. Then I realized I was being played.

That post was complete gold!

Yeah, that's what I suspected as well. Just like I came across a lot of questions geared to large-animal medicine and I have that written nowhere in my application haha. I have a terrible feeling my answer to every question will be, "I don't know.". D: This is my first ever official interview & I can't help but be quite nervous, despite trying to calm down.
I know how you feel...I am personally worried about rambling off in multiple directions. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about the amount of medicine that you know or do not know, just try to be honest and not worry about giving the "right" answer. Like if this they ask you what you think about......something something insert prompt here....just answer the question ya know?? How DO you feel? If you haven't formed an opinion on it yet...say that and tell them why. If you don't know anything about what they are asking, know that they already know there is a chance of that, but how do you handle a question about a topic you don't know anything about? A person with integrity would not try to bs an answer....do you want your veterinarian to bs an answer?? They don't. Just don't be clueless about the things you have in your application, common sense.

I know how you feel...I am personally worried about rambling off in multiple directions. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about the amount of medicine that you know or do not know, just try to be honest and not worry about giving the "right" answer. Like if this they ask you what you think about......something something insert prompt here....just answer the question ya know?? How DO you feel? If you haven't formed an opinion on it yet...say that and tell them why. If you don't know anything about what they are asking, know that they already know there is a chance of that, but how do you handle a question about a topic you don't know anything about? A person with integrity would not try to bs an answer....do you want your veterinarian to bs an answer?? They don't. Just don't be clueless about the things you have in your application, common sense.

Exactly! It's good to know I'm not alone!
I keep trying to remind myself it's not about what I know or don't know, but who I am as a person, what I stand for (as far as being fair, honest, good-hearted, and ethical, etc..), and if I can think properly. It's not like we've been to vet school already, so we shouldn't know anything too technical. But I try to remind myself that the interviews are just to make sure we're capable of turning into good vets. :)

I stand corrected. I was under the t impression that killed vaccines were that way because the viral DNA/RNA was removed, which would be generic engineering in a sense to me. But I'm getting this from basically a single lecture in genetics where my professor made it sound as if the recombinant vaccines were the norm now. If I'm remembering this wrong, I'm remembering it wrong.
Yeah, that's not what a killed vaccine is, and that's also not what it means to have a genetically engineered vaccine. A for effort though.

so...it's still better, in an interview, to say I don't know, but...and list what you do know or postulate a guess. You aren't expected to know a ton about medicine. That's why you're going to vet school, right? But the ability to admit you don't know and to hazard some thoughts on the subject shows quick thinking and that you will rise to a challenge.

Yeah, that's not what a killed vaccine is, and that's also not what it means to have a genetically engineered vaccine. A for effort though.

A for being completely misinformed. Lol.

*gets popcorn*

Not really. She pointed out I was wrong and I admitted I was wrong. That's not even worth salted peanuts, let alone popcorn

Not really. She pointed out I was wrong and I admitted I was wrong. That's not even worth salted peanuts, let alone popcorn

Oops. I didn't realize you admitted to anything (or maybe I did and just didn't really pay attention to it in the moment?). Sorry!

A for being completely misinformed. Lol.
I can understand that... it prompted me to google the topic because I feel the term genetically engineered has been used in a loose sense by some sources and is different from genetic modification but often interchanged by the uninformed, leading to confusion.

It is what it is. Our vaccine lecture was way late in the semester and I definitely didn't focus on it cause the professor told us that there would only be one of two questions on it for the final. You don't focus on it, you don't learn it correctly.

Why would I want to inject a dog vaccine into myself?

I must be a bad vet cause I never gave myself the purevax 3 year rabies when it first came out.

(I'm really hoping this was a joke, but couldn't tell based on what followed, because the knee-whack test IS a good way to explain it to owners)

It... it was a joke.

I would rather tell a client that they should be able to slightly dent the chew with their fingernail, and it shouldn't be hard enough to drive a nail with it, or something. I'm not a big fan of recommending that people hit themselves with things.

Last edited:
It... it was a joke.

I would rather tell a client that they should be able to slightly dent the chew with their fingernail, and it shouldn't be hard enough to drive a nail with it, or something. I'm not a big fan of recommending that people hit themselves with things.

Forget the knee, tell people the test is only valid if they hit themselves on the forehead with it. While you observe, of course.

Forget the knee, tell people the test is only valid if they hit themselves on the forehead with it. While you observe, of course.

In Pathology our professor said if we had trouble deciding whether to call a mass "hard" "firm" or "soft" to touch our forehead, chin, and nose for reference. Body part refs are useful.

In Pathology our professor said if we had trouble deciding whether to call a mass "hard" "firm" or "soft" to touch our forehead, chin, and nose for reference. Body part refs are useful.

As long as you aren't touching the sample to your forehead, chin or nose to determine its consistency. Or is that how it works, @WhtsThFrequency?

I am always super self-conscious submitting descriptions on path reports. I imagine all the path people get mine and are like, "Oh look, this one is from a new grad..."

As long as you make a good faith effort it's fine. What I can't stand is when I get a clinical history that reads only "Declining quality of life. Cause of declining quality of life?"

:smack: (True story)