How do Withdraws look vs a C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GypsyHummus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what would be the best outcome? I know there are numerous threads about this on the pre allopathic forum, but with osteopathic schools' gpa replacement, would it be a good idea to just stick out the course until you get the grade an if you dont like it retake it?

Also, how many Ws is too many? Do adcoms view it as a red flag if you W from a prereq?

Members don't see this ad.

1-2 here and there is fine. If I saw one every semester, then I'd get worried. If I see an entire semester full of Ws I'll ask "what happened?"

Generally speaking, if I see >5 spread out over the 4 years of UG, then I suspect that the person is trying to save his GPA, and will view him/her in a less than positive light.

And no, it's not a red flag for us if you W from a pre-req. Keep in mind that unlike the allo schools, we realize that not everyone is ready for college at 18-20.

Just curious, what would be the best outcome? I know there are numerous threads about this on the pre allopathic forum, but with osteopathic schools' gpa replacement, would it be a good idea to just stick out the course until you get the grade an if you dont like it retake it?

Also, how many Ws is too many? Do adcoms view it as a red flag if you W from a prereq?

I've heard that 3 W's signals a red flag. Feel like it depends on the classes too. Like I have a W in Basketball..won't think that will matter too much.

I would say if you are set on DO schools...def take the C and then retake the course. If this course you speak of isn't considered in the science GPA, I wouldn't even bother retaking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that 3 W's signals a red flag. Feel like it depends on the classes too. Like I have a W in Basketball..won't think that will matter too much.

I would say if you are set on DO schools...def take the C and then retake the course. If this course you speak of isn't considered in the science GPA, I wouldn't even bother retaking.

Thinking about a school actually having a course named "Basketball" made me lol.

I have 3 W's. Should be ok so long as you do something to make up for it.

1-2 here and there is fine. If I saw one every semester, then I'd get worried. If I see an entire semester full of Ws I'll ask "what happened?"

Generally speaking, if I see >5 spread out over the 4 years of UG, then I suspect that the person is trying to save his GPA, and will view him/her in a less than positive light.

And no, it's not a red flag for us if you W from a pre-req. Keep in mind that unlike the allo schools, we realize that not everyone is ready for college at 18-20.

Wow, that answered all of my questions. Thanks Goro, much appreciated!

Thinking about a school actually having a course named "Basketball" made me lol.

Yeah there was a lifestyle, sports, physical activity section of courses. Had rock climbing, fencing, basketball, golf, meditation, etc. All 1 credit but it didn't count toward your overall credits. Just something fun to take.