caligirl!

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
how do yall study for it...cman don't be shy share your secrets!...spec if the teacher tests mostly from notes!

pmantz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Milwaukee
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
show up, read the book, go over power points before test. I can't take alot of notes during class because if I do, I will spend more time writing then understanding what the prof is talking about. Thats just my learning style. I have always been jealous of people who can take nice notes. Good Luck

Joe70h8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
No real secret here, I just study the powerpoint slides and/or my own notes. If there are previous exams for you to study from, use those as well. The only time I really use a text book is if I'm having trouble understanding the material.

About the Ads

nazeeuh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
show up, read the book, go over power points before test. I can't take alot of notes during class because if I do, I will spend more time writing then understanding what the prof is talking about. Thats just my learning style. I have always been jealous of people who can take nice notes. Good Luck

yea i do the same. going to class and actually paying attention helps a lot.

Dauber

Big Baby Jesus
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2007
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I think that there has already been a lot of great ideas shared but what really works for me as far as Bio is learning through your hands. What I mean by that is if you want to learn a body system or remember a biochemical pathway write and rewrite it until you have it second nature. It's a lot of work but you really understand what you're doing if you have to write it and then try to rewrite it from memory. I thought biochem was a breeze, as well as anatomy and physiology, because I did this to study. Pretty simple but time consuming... that is it's downfall. Well, good luck.:luck:

cbc32

ChipperDipper
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Take all the Bio classes that you can at your school and then get kaplan or one of the study guides and pound the subjects that you are not so familiar with.

cbc32

ChipperDipper
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Oh, for a class. Woops. It all depends on how good of notes you take. If there is a part of your notes that you do not understand, go over it in more detail in the book.

dr.rex

rexadactyl nights
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2006
Accepted
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
i study hard and my study routine does not include asking people on SDN how they study....i am so glad i didnt find this place until i had already applied because now i have nothign to do

nazeeuh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
i study hard and my study routine does not include asking people on SDN how they study....i am so glad i didnt find this place until i had already applied because now i have nothign to do

lucky :(

pmantz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Milwaukee
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I probalily have the worst work ethic ever, I have done pretty good as of yet, but D1 I am really going to have to study. Darn I can't be lazy anymore.

PumpNO2

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Everybody has a different styles of studying, what works for one person might not necessarily work for another. The way I go about studying is just read the assign chapters very carefully and taking very detail notes as I read (takes time but its helps reinforce it in your memory). Once I finish reading, I would read over my notes that I have taken to make sure I understand it. Then i refer to the classnotes and concentrate heavily on the topics that your teacher emphasizes. Next, test your understanding and do practice exams! (helps build confidence as well as show you where your lackings are) Theres a point you reach that you know you can't study anymore and that although you might be worry you didn't cover everything but in fact you have done enough to score at least an A :)

fajitapita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Coming from a Bio major here, you have to become a bulimic, except with your mind.

fajitapita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I print off powerpoints, read them, then blend them into a fine powder and snort them.

So is that how you roll? Many images from Scarface are coming up right now, along with Miami and sweet 80s clothes.

1992Corolla

CheerioKing
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
memorization, just like any other subject.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.