How do you become a chair or a department?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckrules

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How?

Edit: I meant to say “of a department” but I’m just going to leave it like this...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
iron-throne.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
The most coveted chairs don't need to be a triple threat (teaching, research, and clinician), but a single threat, fund raising. Not my thing at all. Not interested.

Reactions: 3 users
Ask one of your dept. chairs. The human...not the Victorian couch.

Reactions: 1 user

I’m just curious. On the interview trail, meeting these esteemed shrinks. Just wondering who gets that job, do they set out for it early? Why do they want it? What do they do to get it?

The most coveted chairs don't need to be a triple threat (teaching, research, and clinician), but a single threat, fund raising. Not my thing at all. Not interested.

Does this mean getting private donations from rich donors or having tons of grant money?

I’m just curious. On the interview trail, meeting these esteemed shrinks. Just wondering who gets that job, do they set out for it early? Why do they want it? What do they do to get it?
eb9f0479ad5a8ba7f51652727c058e87.jpg

I don't know. Being an old white dude helps but is not sufficient. Maybe you gotta be a Mason.