How do you choose among T20 acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

threwaway

Reaction score
Long-time lurker, first-time caller. First, I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for being so supportive. This forum really gave me tons of great information and is one of the reasons I have the opportunity to be in the position I am.

So I'm in the fortunate position of holding 3 T5 acceptances, 2 T10 acceptances, and a T20 acceptance (and a t20 WL I'll likely drop). When I started this process, I thought I would get rejected everywhere, maybe get into one decent school and have an easy choice. So I didn't really think through what I would do in this scenario.

But I am starting to realize once you get past T20, they all start to look the same. They all have loads of resources, great match lists, tons of shadowing opportunities, wonderful classmates, access to groundbreaking research, and plenty of other things in common. It all becomes pretty overwhelming and I feel weird asking for help because it just sounds like I'm complaining about my champagne problems to my friends.

So if you've been in this position, how did you choose between your choices? Who do you talk to? What would you focus on? What would you ignore?

A bit about myself: (In the hopes of not doxxing myself, I am being super vague)

-Unsure of what I want to do career-wise, so I like having plenty to shadow.
-Leaning towards IM (maybe PCP but the one time I told a doctor, she said that seemed like a waste of time and to do surgery instead... lol)
-I come from a low-income background, and assume the FA will look similar enough since all the schools have boatloads of resources.
-On that same note, how do you gauge if low-income students feel comfortable in these prestigious institutions?
-I have a spouse (not in finance or big $$ career) and a dog that I wouldn't part with.
-I have been more community-oriented but am open to doing research if it relates to improving access to healthcare.
-Trying to visit all the schools but *some* of these schools decided to make second look close to the April 15/May 1 deadline.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hopefully you read Building Your Best School List - SDN .

Congratulations on being in a position to make a tough choice with few downsides. Based on what is provided, the general advice I can give you...

1) Community: What does your family/spouse think? What are your plans as a family and proximity to extended family and resources? At the very least, your spouse and dog will be going to medical school with you, and at least your spouse should communicate preferences to you about where to live, cost of living, opportunities for work (spouse), spousal support provided by your program (clubs, access to services, insurance coverage).

You should connect with students from your interviews to find couples with whom you both can talk with about their experience in school. Everyone will be on their best behavior at all of your interviews and second-looks. You won't see the real problems until you see your first exam grade.

2) Cost: I am guessing you don't have your final financial aid offers in yet? Do your own calculation of cost of attendance with numbers for finding an apartment, driving to and from class or clinics, food and entertainment, costs for purchasing technology or study guides for studying, etc.

In general, you must keep your debt number as low as you can. FA should tell you about opportunities to apply for more scholarships once you are a student. I don't know if just being from a low-income background is going to help you with the package without more details. The lower the debt number, the more freedom you will feel you have in your specialty selection.

If you are intent on serving underserved areas, apply for NHSC and/or HPSP.

Congratulations on a HUGELY successful cycle! I can't answer your questions, as I'm a nooby here, but I am interested in why you thought you wouldn't get in anywhere and yet you (essentially) got in everywhere. What's in your secret sauce???

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I would probably prioritize money and SO and dog. Find somewhere all of you will be happy geographically. You will get the best education from any of these choices.

• Care
Given your priorities, I'd start with:
What is the housing situation? On campus, off campus? Will it work for my family (spouse and dog)? There may be some places that offer subsidized housing in a very expensive housing market but not allow doggies. Cross those schools off the list?

Do I need a car if I attend this school? yes/no (if you need a car and don't have have one, figure that into the budget)
Is it impractical to store a car in the vicinity of that school? (if you have a car that you can't bear to part with, you might want to nix schools that are super-urban and where parking a car will cost big bucks)

Cost and location. Triangulate these. Cheaper is better unless getting there and getting away is going to be a nightmare. How far from the place you are likely to visit most frequently? Proximity to regional or national/international airports.

Weather might be a consideration. I'd also add culture, values of the larger community, and the proximity to ethnic grocers, hair salons, etc.

Notice that nothing I've said relates to the schools themselves. In large part, they are interchangable.

But I am starting to realize once you get past T20, they all start to look the same

Correct. I would choose what is the most affordable option if it lines up with all other factors including your spouse etc

It really doesn’t have anything to o with the school itself at this point. Cost. Area spouse likes best. Urban vs rural. Housing prospects (it can be hard to find dog-friendly housing in a big city). Proximity to family and friends. Job prospects for spouse. Climate.

It really doesn’t have anything to o with the school itself at this point. Cost. Area spouse likes best. Urban vs rural. Housing prospects (it can be hard to find dog-friendly housing in a big city). Proximity to family and friends. Job prospects for spouse. Climate.
Thanks everyone for your responses so far. It’s just tough because I have a few options in NYC and I’ve lived here my whole life but it’s just not affordable especially because of the pet thing.

something else that I personally used when choosing among such schools:
1 year pre-clinical
true pass/fail no internal rank for BOTH pre-clinical and clinical.
About half the T20 have both of these, but it should help cross out a few of your acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
Location, money and "fit." There is no metric that defines the last factor, but unquestionably different people learn better with different teaching methods. As a highly successful person, hopefully you have picked up on some of how you learn best, and thus I suggest you trust your gut when it comes to identifying the school where you are most likely to be successful.

Reactions: 1 user
Money, money, money. You won't be doing much besides studying during med school anyway, and all the T20s are good.

Long-time lurker, first-time caller. First, I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for being so supportive. This forum really gave me tons of great information and is one of the reasons I have the opportunity to be in the position I am.

So I'm in the fortunate position of holding 3 T5 acceptances, 2 T10 acceptances, and a T20 acceptance (and a t20 WL I'll likely drop). When I started this process, I thought I would get rejected everywhere, maybe get into one decent school and have an easy choice. So I didn't really think through what I would do in this scenario.

But I am starting to realize once you get past T20, they all start to look the same. They all have loads of resources, great match lists, tons of shadowing opportunities, wonderful classmates, access to groundbreaking research, and plenty of other things in common. It all becomes pretty overwhelming and I feel weird asking for help because it just sounds like I'm complaining about my champagne problems to my friends.

So if you've been in this position, how did you choose between your choices? Who do you talk to? What would you focus on? What would you ignore?

A bit about myself: (In the hopes of not doxxing myself, I am being super vague)

-Leaning towards IM (maybe PCP but the one time I told a doctor, she said that seemed like a waste of time and to do surgery instead... lol)
-I come from a low-income background, and assume the FA will look similar enough since all the schools have boatloads of resources.
-On that same note, how do you gauge if low-income students feel comfortable in these prestigious institutions?
-I have a spouse (not in finance or big $$ career) and a dog that I wouldn't part with.
-I have been more community-oriented but am open to doing research if it relates to improving access to healthcare.
-Trying to visit all the schools but *some* of these schools decided to make second look close to the April 15/May 1 deadline.
First of all congratulations! I would prioritize where you and your spouse will be happier. (Urban vs rural, weather, proximity to family, vibes, fit) Next would come significant differences in cost and COL.

FIT!
Any school will prepare you for IM. So that's a no-brainer.
Good luck with whatever you choose.