How do you compare schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dave Copperfield

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

For those who are holding multiple acceptances to schools with similar stats, how do you go about deciding which school to go to?

My main decision is coming down to between Temple and UMass. I want to do orthopaedics. Where would you go?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you compare curriculums?

Many factors (not exhaustive list):

Clinical learning opportunities
Structure (1.5 year vs. 2 year vs 1 year, when you take step 1, longitudinal integration of anatomy vs short intense anatomy)
PBL emphasis or Lecture emphasis
Other "interdisciplinary" topics covered (some schools might teach about nutrition, health policy, etc. while others may not)

AS someone who does not really understand how to compare curriculum: which has more spoon feeding?

What do you like more: clam chowder vs cheese steak ?

Consider cost of living; curriculum, your gut feelings with each school, what the current students feel about their schools; the localities the schools are in. How many grads do residencies in MA vs PA??? Keep in mind that match lists are like reading tea leaves.

Hey everybody,

For those who are holding multiple acceptances to schools with similar stats, how do you go about deciding which school to go to?

My main decision is coming down to between Temple and UMass. I want to do orthopaedics. Where would you go?

Reactions: 1 user