How do you deal with punks that don't want to be helpful on the job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
my job suddenly stopped being so chill. i believe there was an incident and now they want us to be document every visitor to the store. it's pretty intense

one issue now is little punks who work here that refuse to be helpful on the job. they aren't doing anything to hinder your job, at the same time they aren't being so helpful either. basically a lack of understanding that the workplace is all about working as a team. how do you deal with such people? it can be knee jerk annoying to be honest. trying to work and not even getting basic cooperation for small things

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried making them cry?

Nah I am kidding of course. Without more details it is hard to give specific advice. I think the real bottom line in getting cooperation from coworkers is how much effort you are willing to put in to make it happen. Are you willing to set the expectation of cooperation? Are you willing and able to follow up with team members who do not meet the expectation? Do you have any authority to hold them accountable and are you willing to use it when needed?

Honestly it is often easier (and avoids conflict) to just turn a blind eye to underperformers. If you are hoping your boss will do it for you, good luck with that. In my experience, they won’t. The saddest part is if you keep bringing it up to them they may label you the trouble maker.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Have you tried making them cry?

Nah I am kidding of course. Without more details it is hard to give specific advice. I think the real bottom line in getting cooperation from coworkers is how much effort you are willing to put in to make it happen. Are you willing to set the expectation of cooperation? Are you willing and able to follow up with team members who do not meet the expectation? Do you have any authority to hold them accountable and are you willing to use it when needed?

Honestly it is often easier (and avoids conflict) to just turn a blind eye to underperformers. If you are hoping your boss will do it for you, good luck with that. In my experience, they won’t. The saddest part is if you keep bringing it up to them they may label you the trouble maker.
ya probly, plus where i'm working at my role is separate from the others. so they see me as an un-relatable entity, and don't rly listen to me regarding work procedures, they have their bosses they listen to which makes sense

my job is no longer as chill anymore. no more netflix lol. sometimes i can watch a lil CNN. but i'm always doing something every 5-10 mins nowadays. man, past 6 months were sooooo god damn chill. like a dream come true. gonna miss them

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you telling them to do something that is part of their job? Or are you asking them to help you?

It sounds like you are not their direct supervisor.

ya probly, plus where i'm working at my role is separate from the others. so they see me as an un-relatable entity, and don't rly listen to me regarding work procedures, they have their bosses they listen to which makes sense

my job is no longer as chill anymore. no more netflix lol. sometimes i can watch a lil CNN. but i'm always doing something every 5-10 mins nowadays. man, past 6 months were sooooo god damn chill. like a dream come true. gonna miss them

Maybe that is why they are not working hard. They see you goof around.

What do you do again? All I remember from your previous post was that you watched Netflix.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Why didn't the villagers come when the little boy cried "wolf!" the third time? Because he lost credibility with his audience after the first two times.

my job suddenly stopped being so chill. i believe there was an incident and now they want us to be document every visitor to the store. it's pretty intense

one issue now is little punks who work here that refuse to be helpful on the job. they aren't doing anything to hinder your job, at the same time they aren't being so helpful either. basically a lack of understanding that the workplace is all about working as a team. how do you deal with such people? it can be knee jerk annoying to be honest. trying to work and not even getting basic cooperation for small things

I think we all have worked with a mofo who does little to no work and gets paid the same. Sometimes I feel envious but sometimes I realize the person might be a good roll model in life and compete with the mofo to see who is the laziest. Life is short stay hard. Basically do whatever it takes to make yourself happy even if it means taking sildenafil.

Reactions: 1 user
Co-workers change with time, knowledge, and experience; often a reflection of the work ethic of those around them. Have a strong work ethic and be able to prioritize without getting stressed out too much and they will show you more respect (lead by example)

This sounds like the pot calling the kettle black...

Your story is always missing crucial details.
So I am 100% positive you are not here for any kind of serious answer.

Anyway, there is only so much you can do if you have no authority to make someone do certain thing formally. Especially more so if your superior officers play favorites.