How do you decide how many schools? :<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chikarin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have read Scumbag Steve's Ultimate Guide over and over again since it was created, but I'm still unable to decide how many schools to apply to (mainly is because of cost). Honestly only see these 4 schools that I would be happy attending - IL resident (UIC, Marquette, SIU, Maryland ~ maybe Iowa), but that seems too few :dead:. Took DAT last week, currently working on my application, but seeing how many people are implying they are "late" because their apps are not in the very first week of June, I'm anxious :nailbiting::nailbiting: (going on a vacation for a week, so probably will be able to submit application the first week of July).

While you are at it, please chance me:
sGPA/oGPA: 3.97
DAT: AA 23, TS 23, nothing under 20
Shadowing: ~100hr
Research: 2 semesters with Psychiatry department
Volunteer: Plenty, but not dental related

<consider applying to Texas schools because I have lots of families and friends there, but I sure know how OOS unfriendly they are:bookworm:>

Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

You have very high stats. I'd consider adding maybe 2 more schools just to be safe. Assuming you're fine at interviewing you aren't going to have any issues.

Honestly, the fees are low compared the potential cost of waiting another year before starting dental school. Your stats are good, but personally I would apply to any school that you can see yourself at, you have a good chance of getting into, and/or you really like for some reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow IL res here! You have a solid list and will be competitive for all of those schools. I would also add Pitt
Because you are currently at Pitt? :whistle: :pYap, will look into Pitt

You have very high stats. I'd consider adding maybe 2 more schools just to be safe. Assuming you're fine at interviewing you aren't going to have any issues.

Honestly, the fees are low compared the potential cost of waiting another year before starting dental school. Your stats are good, but personally I would apply to any school that you can see yourself at, you have a good chance of getting into, and/or you really like for some reason.

Thank you! I'll keep that in mind. Yes, definitely don't want to risk losing a year due to not applying to enough schools.

Apply to more schools if you are unsure of your interview skills. If you're confident the interview won't be a problem, you'll get in.

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely don't suggest applying to a school just to increase the number of schools you applied to, because that's expensive and pointless if you won't be happy there. However, increasing your odds isn't a bad idea, even with your competitive stats! Sit down and really consider what school's have to offer in the areas you would be happy living.

Best of luck this cycle

Reactions: 1 user