How do You do pattern folding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boat on the Chesapeake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any tips or insights on how they do pattern folding. It's my weakest PAT section and since it's the last section you usually have the least time for it. I've tried picking a side and folding everything toward it, mentally, or making a brief sketch to help visualize different symbols. Any pro methods to better attack this section?

Members don't see this ad.

haha i'm in the exact same position as you. i hate the section so much. it's a combination of the fact that it's the last section and the fact that i really can't wrap my head around how to approach these problems. i could also use some pointers on this section. please and thank you =)

The only section on the PAT that I can manage and actually enjoy.
The way I do is it that I unfold it in my head.
Just unfold it step by step.
Hope that helps.

so instead of folding the structure in your head you unfold the answer choices?

Members don't see this ad :)
no, no, I just look at the last pic with the hole in it and then I work backwards imagining where the other holes would be until it is completely unfolded.

uhh. isn't that hole punching and not pattern folding? or am i getting mixed up here...

WOOPS, hahaha. sorry I saw the word folding and just assumed too much.
Personally, I save a lot of time for this section because it takes me a while, but its not too bad.
I like to find errors in the possible answers and keep crossing off till I get a solid answer.