How do you do this???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WillThisEverEnd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys in the know how. I'm just fixing to start my planning for medical school and I was wondering what do you do while you're in school for income? Does anyone work? Is it possible to work part-time on weekends to keep some cash flow coming in? Do you get all your income from financial aid or what?:eek: Thanks for the insight!

WTEE

Members don't see this ad.

Refer to my post in the thread "Need Answers" a little further down the page. Pretty much everyone lives on aid of some sort, usually loans. It's hard to work and some schools don't even allow it. Summers and breaks are good times to work, but you need a break sometime or else you will get burnt out. Diff people do diff things. Personally, my school doesn't allow us to work so I live on loans (which is easy because I am single with no children). I worked during the summer before school started to have a little bit of cushion in my account, but I won't be working anytime else. I had 2 weeks for christmas and I had to study during it. I get about 5 weeks off for summer but I think I may just relax for most of it, visit family I don't see, and maybe take a short trip to somewhere warm :love: .

But anyway, my point is that most people use loans. :)

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the thread you referred in the previous post. I just wanted to do something where I didn't have to pay back $100,000 when I get out of medical school (if I ever make it to medical school).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by WillThisEverEnd
I have a question for you guys in the know how. I'm just fixing to start my planning for medical school and I was wondering what do you do while you're in school for income? Does anyone work? Is it possible to work part-time on weekends to keep some cash flow coming in? Do you get all your income from financial aid or what?:eek: Thanks for the insight!

WTEE
you can get the money you need to live on from financial aid.
you can work on the side, but the 'free time' you have may be better served by studying when you need to and relaxing when you don't.
some schools have a research work system-you get a total or partial tuition waiver for working x number of hours in approved jobs. some of these jobs also come with a small hourly wage.
lastly, don't worry about the loans. get disability insurance in case something happens, but once you are done training the money will take care of itself. i know this is hard to believe, and i worked when i was in medical school but i wouldn't recommend it. i was impatient and poor when i was at your stage. focus on the important stuff. for comparison, my wife and i are paying off >250,000 in loans no sweat. and we are consolidated at a 8% interest rate. you are lucky enough to have 4-5% rates available.

Well seems like yourself and I are coming from the same type of financial background. I too am relatively poor and haven't that much money to pay for my tuition. I guess I will have use the financial aid that is available to help me get buy.