How do you do well on a section without taking the class

Started by orut08
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

orut08

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im going to be taking the pcat in June after my first year of prerequisites. At that point, I would have taken: Principles of chem 1, Principles of chem 2, Intro to chem practices, Intro to Bio, Intro to Bio 2, Anatomy and Physiology, and Calculus. I see a lot of threads about review books, but would these help if I've never taken the course? How can I learn the minimum of what I need for the subjects like organic chemistry before I take the course just for the PCAT?
 
I don't think there is any easy way around performing really well on the chemistry section without having taken Organic Chemistry I.

Review books are designed to help you review the material you have already learned in the class room. If you truly want to learn organic chemistry on your own, I recommend buying an organic chemistry text book and solutions manual, and learning the material through doing all the problems. If you think about it, that is the same as taking the class, so you mind as well take your time and enroll in a college level Organic Chemistry I class.

40% of chemistry section is organic chemistry so it's imperative you learn organic chemistry well. The way I think about it is why would I take the PCAT knowing only a little more than 60% of the material in the chemistry section when everyone else knows 100%.
 
I took the PCAT blindly in June prior to taking Organic I &II, A&P I & II, Micro and having taken Gen Chem I nine years ago and I scored in the 50th percentile. It was better than I expected but still not as good as I want. Now I'm taking those classes so we will see what happens.