How do you get over the experience hurdle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

renebene

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got certified as an EMT-B a year and a half ago but then moved to a different state and could not get reciprocity. I decided to go ahead and get my intermediate certification and I finished that about three months ago. I really want to get a job working in EMS but no one will hire me because I don't have any experience. How am I ever supposed to get any experience if I can't get a job? Did any of you have this problem? How did you get your first job?

Members don't see this ad.

Started out at a volunteer corps first for the experience, then was able to move onto a paid job.

I agree - volunteer!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any EMS services in your area that just do transport work only (ie. hospital discharges and nursing home contracts etc) ? If there is, these places tend to hire brand new EMT's. This job usually isn't the most exciting, but there is a HUGE amount you can learn about medicine if you're interested. Good Luck.

renebene said:
I got certified as an EMT-B a year and a half ago but then moved to a different state and could not get reciprocity. I decided to go ahead and get my intermediate certification and I finished that about three months ago. I really want to get a job working in EMS but no one will hire me because I don't have any experience. How am I ever supposed to get any experience if I can't get a job? Did any of you have this problem? How did you get your first job?

You didn't get reciprocity, but you got your EMT-I? How did you do that? Did you go back to the other state, or what?

See thread re: nursing homes -- You'll get experience on how badly health care can be delivered...

Some EMT-P programs will take anyone off the street, no EMS experience required. I am sure there must be some EMT-I programs that do the same.

i went and bugged the life out of the nearby ER until they hired me. I've been there 2 years now and ride with MAST in my free time. I'm thinking of going on to get a FT job with MAST though. if people stop shooting them. :(

vollie vollie vollie. A) it's some experience till you get a paid job B) EMS is a very small world: you'll run into someone who has a hook and can get you hired somewhere. i.e. the more someone who may do the hiring sees you - the more they can put a face to a job app.