How do you get over the experience hurdle?

Discussion in 'Pre-Hospital [ EMS ]' started by renebene, Apr 12, 2004.

1. renebene

renebene New Member

I got certified as an EMT-B a year and a half ago but then moved to a different state and could not get reciprocity. I decided to go ahead and get my intermediate certification and I finished that about three months ago. I really want to get a job working in EMS but no one will hire me because I don't have any experience. How am I ever supposed to get any experience if I can't get a job? Did any of you have this problem? How did you get your first job?

2. EMT036

EMT036 MS-III/AEMT/Rescue Diver
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Started out at a volunteer corps first for the experience, then was able to move onto a paid job.

3. beanbean

beanbean 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree - volunteer!

4. FoughtFyr

FoughtFyr SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Yep, me too! BTW - get every training class you can from your volley squad. Not only will it help the CV, but the contacts you make are priceless in a job hunt...

- H

5. niko327

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are there any EMS services in your area that just do transport work only (ie. hospital discharges and nursing home contracts etc) ? If there is, these places tend to hire brand new EMT's. This job usually isn't the most exciting, but there is a HUGE amount you can learn about medicine if you're interested. Good Luck.

6. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

You didn't get reciprocity, but you got your EMT-I? How did you do that? Did you go back to the other state, or what?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. EMT036

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    See thread re: nursing homes -- You'll get experience on how badly health care can be delivered...

8. EMT036

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some EMT-P programs will take anyone off the street, no EMS experience required. I am sure there must be some EMT-I programs that do the same.

9. lytesnsyrens

lytesnsyrens The Phoenix...
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    i went and bugged the life out of the nearby ER until they hired me. I've been there 2 years now and ride with MAST in my free time. I'm thinking of going on to get a FT job with MAST though. if people stop shooting them. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. bandaidsNhoses

7+ Year Member

vollie vollie vollie. A) it's some experience till you get a paid job B) EMS is a very small world: you'll run into someone who has a hook and can get you hired somewhere. i.e. the more someone who may do the hiring sees you - the more they can put a face to a job app.