How do you guys read Medium Robbins (Robbins basic pathology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcat35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I've been reading Robbin's basic pathology (the medium robbin's) for the past few weeks. Covering the relevant path sections that we have covered this year in MSI. With textbook reading I generally have to read the chapter 2-3 times if the material was brand new to me. Since we have covered these sections it feels as though I only really need to read the chapter once to fill in some gaps in my knowledge since I have studied pathoma/class notes for a lot of this material. Do you guys think this is the right approach? I would love to hear about how you guys approach reviewing for Path. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I read the book twice but I think it should be ditched. There is way too much epidemiology and it has zero integration. It is pure pathology and does not cover the pathophysiology that you need. I would only use the book for the pictures.

Pathoma gives a much better explanation, while Goljan RR Pathology 4th is more comprehensive. These resources tell you what you actually need to know. Since you already did Pathoma, use Goljan RR instead (the latest 4th edition is more readable than 3rd edition).

Hey guys and gals, I've been reading Robbin's basic pathology (the medium robbin's) for the past few weeks. Covering the relevant path sections that we have covered this year in MSI. With textbook reading I generally have to read the chapter 2-3 times if the material was brand new to me. Since we have covered these sections it feels as though I only really need to read the chapter once to fill in some gaps in my knowledge since I have studied pathoma/class notes for a lot of this material. Do you guys think this is the right approach? I would love to hear about how you guys approach reviewing for Path. Thanks

One of my path professors recommended reading medium Robbin's, and I was like "read a textbook? Lol no."

Goljan is my path source. I have the revised 3rd edition, but the 4th edition sounds awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would've loved to read medium or big robbins b/c they went along with my classes and the explanations were great, but I read too slowly. So, I used "baby" Robbins.
Then, I used Big robbins to clarify anything that wasn't clear from baby Robbins, Pathoma, Goljan audio, or BRS pathology.

ya I only started reading it during our renal block and I thought it helped tremendously, which is why I have been reading over all the other sections that we have covered this year to fill in some gaps in a way. Anyway thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I already have a copy of baby robbins and I will most likely pick up the new goljan. Thanks so much :)