How do you guys respond?

Started by Tortelloni
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tortelloni

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you respond to resident/attending that consistently engages in political discussion with you? Specifically when you know you will strongly disagree.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile
 
How do you respond to resident/attending that consistently engages in political discussion with you? Specifically when you know you will strongly disagree.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile
The safe bet would just be to just nod your head and agree, since certainly some residents and attendings out there will be petty enough to grade you more harshly if you're of the opposite persuasion. However if you can get a good feel for them, it may not necessarily be a bad thing to take a stance more in line with what you believe. Do so at your own risk, however.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This person is extremely out there on political spectrum (left or right - doesn't matter). His/her typical approach is, I believe "blah blah" what do you think? My responses have been similar to what has been suggested above, typically along the lines of "I am not well informed in that area but I would have to agree with you." Saying that 5 days/week is getting old though. In past he/she has not responded well to students questioning his/her beliefs. Guess I'll continue playing the game.
 
If you want to actually engage in some stuff, make sure you do it in the same way you would your crazy family member. "I think we need to put guns in hands of every child."- Oh that is interesting, but would that really help and what about this or that? "Oh we need to ban guns."- You may be right, but I think they can be safe under these circumstances. The safe bet is definitely to nod and smile, but that does get old, and you can actually have some good conversations with attendings and connect on a less superficial level. But sometimes your attending will say something where all you can do is look at them and say, "oh....well.....um......how about them (insert local sporting team)."
 
As a poor med student, I remember a chat I had with a particularly haughty surgeon.

"What do you think about these taxes just for the top 2%?" (I had figured out he was in the top 2%).

"Guess it depends on whether I was in the top 2% or not."

They loved it.

So, if there's a way to sidestep it and be charming, go for that. I can usually disarm most political discussions with some humor. Unless I come to SDN and behind the mask of anonymity go nutz.

In fact, I would recommend venting in SDN and tongue-biting at work as a my #1 tip for healthcare career success.
 
Tell them the last time you voted was for high school class president and your person lost.