1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

how do you guys study for reading?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by bluesolic, Aug 1, 2011.

1. bluesolic

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    just wondering how you guys study for reading section..

in my opinion, general knowledge is really important for reading.

do you guys know any web site that there are alot of reading article similar to the reading section in DAT ? or any dentistry web site..

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrRoyal Pains

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Theres no single website with articles similar to those for the RC section. Your best bet is to just read science or medical articles and get accustomed to the way it is written.

4. soosoolhastam

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Crack dat reading..

5. jonishere5

Removed

Pre-Dental
    yeah I have to say crack DAT reading was closest to the reading comprehension section on the DAT. You should definitely try it out.

Good luck

6. AllahIsGreater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    you guys have to READ the passage. im telling you right now, if you happen to get the physics passage and you try and do search and destroy, well than here comes you 10 in RC....did i just say 10??!?!? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. toothlove

Crack DAT Reading! Questions are VERY similar and my scores were right on the dot with this program.

8. bluesolic

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    oh does the crack dat have similar type of questions to the real one ???

9. carolinagrl346

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I actually have to disagree, a great majority of my questions were NOT like CDR, in fact, I stopped using CDR because it felt so different from Achiever, TS, Kaplan, etc. I had maybe one or two tone questions on my reading :p Though I do agree that you have to actually read the passage, esp. with physics passages, heck, I didn't know what they were talking about til about a few questions in, haha. Overall, I relied mostly on Achiever and TopScore and ended up with a 25 in RC whereas I was getting 20-23 on the practice exams.

10. bluesolic

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ok , i think i got it, just read alot of article but the question is that which practice exam has most similar questions to real dat reading ?

i know i need to read alot in order to be good at reading section but i think figuring out the type of questions is also very important . i am studying with crack dat and if i get used to those questions and i don't want to be surprised what the real dat asks .. any one tell me which practice exam has most similar type of questions to the real dat ?

11. nondescriptive

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Read some magazines while you're on the crapper, like bloomberg or businessweek

12. toothlove

In my opinion, CRACK DAT READING helped me the most. Lots of question types were similar and the randomness of the passages was also kind of similar. My actual test had passages that were longer but they were pretty close to CRACK DAT READING. like 9-12 paragraphs. So that program helped me the most! Also, my scores were very similar. 20-22 on it and 21 on actual test.

13. tmirchel

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    kaplan practice test were closes to the reading imo. I did not practice much since I new it was my weak area and it showed with an 18. The questions were simple but the passages were just long. It went 16, 22, 17 paragraphs. The last passage i struggled on.

So I really dont no what to say on how to practice except to do as many full lengths practices tests you have for reading.