How do you know if an interview went well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relatively prime

post happy member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any clues? How do you know if the interviewer liked you (was impressed...etc...)?

Members don't see this ad.

honestly,
i don't think you can gage that.

I think that it is hard to tell. Many interviewers try to make you feel really relaxed, so they are nice to you throughout the entire interview and respond very well to everything you say. You walk out feeling like you did very well but you don't get into the school. Then there are some interviewers you see how you do under pressure and they do not respond well to your answers and you walk out feeling like you want to jump off the closest high building you can find. But you actually get accepted.

Just be yourself and stay confident that you did well no matter how you feel after the interview. The only way to know if an interview, IMO, went well is if you get accepted there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's a gut feeling. I've been able to accurately predict the outcome of 90% of the interviews I've gone on in my life based on the way I felt walking out of the place. Trust your instincts.

Originally posted by relatively prime
Are there any clues? How do you know if the interviewer liked you (was impressed...etc...)?

Sometimes they say that you got in. :) But I only heard that from someone who got the Rhodes...

-RA

If they say something like " Now how can we convince you to come here?" as the interview's ending, it's pretty good sign. Or if the interviewer is extremely solicitous and helpful about helping you find your way to wherever you're supposed to be next, saying things like "We wouldn't want to lose you..."

But just going by the feeling you have is pretty unreliable. I got some rejects and waitlists from interviews I thought had gone fantastically last year. Remember, coolwaters, the medschool interviewer is not making the decision alone, but only giving input to the adcom that makes the final decision based on the interview plus multiple other factors.

To SMW:

My reply was an attempt to answer Relatively Prime's question: "How do I know if the interview went well?" I agree with you that there are many factors leading to the final admissions decision. The interview is only one component.

You can see it in their eyes. Read the body language......but even that won't always work:rolleyes: I'm a lot of help.

You know what? Us pre-meds need to learn how to start brain washing the interviewers or something. But it would have to be our little secret, can't let them catch on;)

Originally posted by relatively prime
How do you know if an interview went well?

"Dear Applicant: Congratulations! You have been accepted into the class of 2007 at ...." <----- interview went well

"Dear Applicant: Thank you for your interest in our institution. However, at this time..." <----- interview flopped

Reactions: 1 users
My interviewer at NJMS repeatedly said that my file looks exceptional, great, etc.
and she said she could really see me fitting into the school, and she really wants to see me come here.
And she said, "you should have no problem with NJMS, but don't quote me on that... but I will talk to the admissions committee very soon."

So i'm thinking positively about it.
i hope to hear from them soon!
=)

it was my first interview and it went great!