???How do you know if your ECs are competitive???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bokken

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I graduated last year and it's difficult to get in touch with my college premed adviser. People on this board recommend that I don't apply until I'm competitive so that I don't have to be a reapplicant. I agree so I'm planning on shoring up my stats and extracurriculars before I apply. Is there a checklist of extracurriculars that must be completed to be a competitive applicant? If so, what do I need to do before I apply?

***Would this question be better asked in the non-trad section?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi SDN,

I graduated last year and it's difficult to get in touch with my college premed adviser. People on this board recommend that I don't apply until I'm competitive so that I don't have to be a reapplicant. I agree so I'm planning on shoring up my stats and extracurriculars before I apply. Is there a checklist of extracurriculars that must be completed to be a competitive applicant? If so, what do I need to do before I apply?

***Would this question be better asked in the non-trad section?
The best thing to do would be to post your actual EC's, stats, etc. in this thread (or in the What Are My Chances? forum) and let some of the experienced users on this site, especially the Adcoms who frequent the forums, the opportunity to advise you. I am not aware of any specific checklist posted here per se.

That's the thing. I'm not applying this year. I've ~300 volunteering hours b/t a hospital and hospice over the past 2 years and ~50 hours of shadowing but that's about it for medically related extracurriculars. I was wondering if there is a checklist so I know what else I should do before I apply next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the thing. I'm not applying this year. I've ~300 volunteering hours b/t a hospital and hospice over the past 2 years and ~50 hours of shadowing but that's about it for medically related extracurriculars. I was wondering if there is a checklist so I know what else I should do before I apply next year.
Well, most applicants have research, but it isn't an absolute requirement. Keep volunteering from now until you are accepted, and you should be good there. Shadowing looks good as far as hours, but you might want to shadow another day or two closer to the time you expect to apply so you have "fresh" experience.

If you have a job, list that as it shows you have commitments outside school yet are able to keep your GPA high. If you don't have a job, find some activity that you are genuinely interested in (doesn't have to be medically related), and dedicate significant time to that.

Tutoring and teaching is seen as a plus, but not required.
Leadership is a plus, but not required.
Unique activities/hobbies/volunteering will be much more favorable than typical "vice president of pre-med club" type activities, though the typical clinical exposure, etc. is expected and will be a negative if you don't have it.

Have something you enjoy doing that DOESN'T relate to medicine or medical school. This isn't an application booster (though it could give your app a boost if it is unique and impressive) but for your own sanity. If everything you do between now and applying is dedicated to getting into medical school, you will probably burn out.

Other than that, good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply theseeker4!

Just a note: I started working at my full-time job right after I graduated. It is a research job and I've done research in college and gotten published for it. It's nice to know that it helps for med school admissions. :)

Thank you so much for your reply theseeker4!

Just a note: I started working at my full-time job right after I graduated. It is a research job and I've done research in college and gotten published for it. It's nice to know that it helps for med school admissions. :)

Worry less about the ECs and be sure that your gpa and MCAT are optimized before you apply. That's the biggest hurdle.

Wow! Thank you for the link!