Summernight

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2012
Status
Podiatry Student
Hi everyone,
I am a non-trad with MS degree in BIO from overseas (the best U in my country). US citizen, Navy Corpsman, planning on apply for DO school next year and HPSP.

gpa= 3.1
no MCAT yet

After my degree evaluation I got some weird numbers for my credits (I am not sure why and if it will be enough), and my gpa is too low the way they calculated it, but it's whatever, I won't give up!

pre-reqs:
BIO - lots of BIO (botany, zoology, cytology, ecology, evolution, genetics, micro and plenty of pass/fail grad level courses) with average grade (B) all together. From undergrad I have only Zoology - 7.75 credits (B), Botany - 7.00 credits (A), Cytology - 4.50 credits (A), all with labs.

I-CHEM with lab - 3.25 credits (C) - 1/2 year course.
O-CHEM with lab - 5.00 credits (C) - one year course.
MATH -7.75 credits (A) - 1 year course.
PHYSICS with lab - 7.75 (B) - 1 year course.
ENG - 3.25 credits (B) - 2 years course.

Plus I have MICRO (B), BIOCHEM (B), ANTHROPOLOGY (A), less than 3 credits each - 1/2 year courses, all with labs.
And I have some courses from a military school (A and P, nursing, Pharm and etc.)

Volunteering - Yes
Shadowing - Yes
Research - Yes
LOR - Yes
EC activities - Yes
A Unique Personal Statement :)

My plan is:
To retake O-CHEM for grade replacement.
To take more I-CHEM for more credits.
To take ENG Composition and Literature - 3 credits each, since my ENG probably will be considered ENG as a foreign language.

All in a CC since I work full-time or U Extention if I can get in (long wait list).

Should I take more Physics, Bio or smth else?
How do you like my strategy? What are my chances if I score high enough on MCAT?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Your undergrad GPA as calculated by your school is meaningless. Your AACOMAS GPA is what matters.

Retaking seems like a good idea, though you might not need it if you score well enough on your MCAT.

May 9, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Your undergrad GPA as calculated by your school is meaningless. Your AACOMAS GPA is what matters.

Retaking seems like a good idea, though you might not need it if you score well enough on your MCAT.
Not necessarily. Your undergrad GPA is a pretty good representation of what your AACOMAS GPA will be if you haven't done any retakes. Usually your AACOMAS GPA is a bit higher so if your undergrad GPA is good then you should be in the clear.

Also, your plan seems good. Good luck!

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Not necessarily. Your undergrad GPA is a pretty good representation of what your AACOMAS GPA will be if you haven't done any retakes. Usually your AACOMAS GPA is a bit higher so if your undergrad GPA is good then you should be in the clear.

Also, your plan seems good. Good luck!
The OP said they got some "weird numbers" so I was thinking the calculation is different than most schools.

Either way, I just meant that AACOMAS gives you your GPA (estimate) immediately and doesn't require a transcript verification like AMCAS does.

OP
Summernight

Summernight

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2012
Status
Podiatry Student
Thank you for youe replies!

Can I submit AACOMAS application even if I won't apply this year? Just to see how my GPA will look like and then later add some grades.

By 'weird numbers' I meant my credits (not enough even know I took some courses for a full year 2-3 times a week for at least 3 hrs with a seminar and a lab). What should I do with Physics (7.75 credits) in order to meet requirements (most schools recommend 8 credits)?

HM3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Status
We need more specific information. To clarify; for prereqs you usually need equivalent of 8 semester hours. Do you have that?

HM3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Status
Thank you for youe replies!

Can I submit AACOMAS application even if I won't apply this year? Just to see how my GPA will look like and then later add some grades.

By 'weird numbers' I meant my credits (not enough even know I took some courses for a full year 2-3 times a week for at least 3 hrs with a seminar and a lab). What should I do with Physics (7.75 credits) in order to meet requirements (most schools recommend 8 credits)?
Just read this. Here's from the instruction regarding your courses, I also suggest contacting AACOMAS directly:

Except as noted above, coursework taken at foreign institutions
must be evaluated for U.S. equivalence by one
of the evaluation services listed below, and an official
copy must be sent from the service directly to AACOMAS.
You should also have a copy sent to you for the purpose
of completing the AACOMAS application. Request a
course-by-course evaluation and list the courses, subject
codes, semester hours and grades on the AACOMAS
Colleges and Coursework application page, following the
instructions.

Your application will not be complete and cannot be
verified without an official evaluation by one of the
services listed below. If an agency is not able to complete
an evaluation for you, you must attempt another service.
If the second service is not able to evaluate your foreign
coursework you will need to have both companies send
copies of the letters to AACOMAS.
You should contact one of the following:

World Education Services
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
(212) 966-6311
http://www.wes.org
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Educational Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
(305) 273-1616
http://www.jsilny.com

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
(414) 289-3400
http://www.ece.org
International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
Post Office Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Phone: (310) 258-9451
http://www.ierf.org

Link: http://www.aacom.org/Documents/AACOMASInstructions.pdf

OP
Summernight

Summernight

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2012
Status
Podiatry Student
We need more specific information. To clarify; for prereqs you usually need equivalent of 8 semester hours. Do you have that?

Nope. I still don't understand why my hours got evaluated with such low equivalents for US credits, but I am willing to take more classes in order to meet all requirements and to refresh my knowledge before I will take MCAT. I graduated in 2009.

May 9, 2010
Status
Medical Student
The OP said they got some "weird numbers" so I was thinking the calculation is different than most schools.

Either way, I just meant that AACOMAS gives you your GPA (estimate) immediately and doesn't require a transcript verification like AMCAS does.
Ah, gotcha!

OP
Summernight

Summernight

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2012
Status
Podiatry Student
Just read this. Here's from the instruction regarding your courses, I also suggest contacting AACOMAS directly:

Except as noted above, coursework taken at foreign institutions
must be evaluated for U.S. equivalence by one
of the evaluation services listed below, and an official
copy must be sent from the service directly to AACOMAS.
You should also have a copy sent to you for the purpose
of completing the AACOMAS application. Request a
course-by-course evaluation and list the courses, subject
codes, semester hours and grades on the AACOMAS
Colleges and Coursework application page, following the
instructions.

Your application will not be complete and cannot be
verified without an official evaluation by one of the
services listed below. If an agency is not able to complete
an evaluation for you, you must attempt another service.
If the second service is not able to evaluate your foreign
coursework you will need to have both companies send
copies of the letters to AACOMAS.
You should contact one of the following:

World Education Services
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
(212) 966-6311
http://www.wes.org
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Educational Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
(305) 273-1616
http://www.jsilny.com

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
(414) 289-3400
http://www.ece.org
International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
Post Office Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Phone: (310) 258-9451
http://www.ierf.org

Link: http://www.aacom.org/Documents/AACOMASInstructions.pdf

I read it. My degree evaluated by ECE. :cool:

HM3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Status
I read it. My degree evaluated by ECE. :cool:
If you're not applying this cycle I'd suggest taking a 5 credit General Chemistry (II), any Physics, take OChem(II) and a year's worth of English Comp this upcoming year; then take the MCAT.

HM3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Status
I'm basing this off the information you gave us, and assuming the credit hours are going to stay as is. I would contact the evaluation service and inquire about the hours of course.

OP
Summernight

Summernight

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2012
Status
Podiatry Student
If you're not applying this cycle I'd suggest taking a 5 credit General Chemistry (II), any Physics, take OChem(II) and a year's worth of English Comp this upcoming year; then take the MCAT.
Good idea, thanks!

Do you think a Community College will be fine in my situation or it will hurt my chances?

HM3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Status
Good idea, thanks!

Do you think a Community College will be fine in my situation or it will hurt my chances?
I think a CC would be fine; but a more important question is where did you do your undergrad ? I'm also going to let you know that a lot of schools require you to take prereqs in the US.

OP
Summernight

Summernight

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2012
Status
Podiatry Student
I think a CC would be fine; but a more important question is where did you do your undergrad ?
Overseas, like I said in my original post.
Moscow State U, Russia.
Not sure how Med School admission will look at it, but in the US I never had a problem with it, I did an Internship here and was going to continue my education as a PhD student, but then I joined the Navy and changed my mind.

HM3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Status
Overseas, like I said in my original post.
Moscow State U, Russia.
Not sure how Med School admission will look at it.
You did not clarify that in your OP. You wrote that you have an MS (Which I read as Masters of Science), and nothing of a BS or BA.

OP
Summernight

Summernight

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2012
Status
Podiatry Student
You did not clarify that in your OP. You wrote that you have an MS (Which I read as Masters of Science), and nothing of a BS or BA.
Oh sorry, my bad. Both undergrad and grad I did there, at the same place.
BS in Biology
MS in Biology/Mycology

HM3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Status
Honestly man; if you're applying next cycle I'd suggest just taking all of your prereqs this year, starting this summer.

OP
Summernight

Summernight

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2012
Status
Podiatry Student
Honestly man; if you're applying next cycle I'd suggest just taking all of your prereqs this year, starting this summer.
I ll try to start ASAP.
PS. - I am a female by the way :D

HM3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Status
I ll try to start ASAP.
PS. - I am a female by the way :D
Either way; you're better off taking the full sequences of prereqs here. I think a CC should be fine seeing as it is the only reasonable option for you at this point.

Anyone have anything else to suggest?

OP
Summernight

Summernight

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2012
Status
Podiatry Student
Either way; you're better off taking the full sequences of prereqs here. I think a CC should be fine seeing as it is the only reasonable option for you at this point.

Anyone have anything else to suggest?
Thanks, HM3,
I really appreciate your advice!

Apr 5, 2011
Tazewell, TN
Status
Medical Student
I just gotta reply because i see a conversation between some fellow Corpsman/soon-to-be-Docs! I'm currently an HM2 (well at least for another month then off to school). Are you guys applying for HPSP or HSCP?

Well I hope to see you both in the fleet as Medical Corps officers! Good luck!

HM3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Status
I just gotta reply because i see a conversation between some fellow Corpsman/soon-to-be-Docs! I'm currently an HM2 (well at least for another month then off to school). Are you guys applying for HPSP or HSCP?

No. I still have the GI Bill. What program are you in?

OP
Summernight

Summernight

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2012
Status
Podiatry Student

Thanks, Corpsman33!
I definetely will apply for HPSP and/or HSCP.
Med Corps is my dream!

PS I am in San Diego too.

Apr 5, 2011
Tazewell, TN
Status
Medical Student
No. I still have the GI Bill. What program are you in?
I still have the GI Bill also (in fact i will use it for my program).

I am doing HSCP in which ill remain active duty during school and receive E-7 pay plus full BAH during all 4 years. Plus school time counts towards time-in-service and counts towards retirement, but they dont cover tuition (but you can use your gi bill for that).
While other med students are struggling to get by in this program you make nearly 6 figures (while in school).

Then when you graduate you make O-3E pay during internship/residency.

Apr 5, 2011
Tazewell, TN
Status
Medical Student
Also, I have made a powerpoint presentation entitled "Enlisted to Medical Corps" for my command that got uploaded to NKO and is the only info there that recruits for the med corps.

if you want more info then let me know.

OP
Summernight

Summernight

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2012
Status
Podiatry Student
Also, I have made a powerpoint presentation entitled "Enlisted to Medical Corps" for my command that got uploaded to NKO and is the only info there that recruits for the med corps.

I think I saw it on nko. That's awesome, maybe you can tell me in details how to apply for it.

HM3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Status
I still have the GI Bill also (in fact i will use it for my program).

I am doing HSCP in which ill remain active duty during school and receive E-7 pay plus full BAH during all 4 years. Plus school time counts towards time-in-service and counts towards retirement, but they dont cover tuition (but you can use your gi bill for that).
While other med students are struggling to get by in this program you make nearly 6 figures (while in school).

Then when you graduate you make O-3E pay during internship/residency.
They don't cover tuition? I have not researched that much but it sounds like a bad deal. You could be out of service and still use the GI Bill; not owing 7 more years is it? Unless of course you are wanting to stay in obligation to the service due to your love of country; and if so I applaud you greatly. Thank you for your service.

HM3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Status

Can you send me this powerpoint as well? I've been out for 3 years now; but am ignorant to the program and would still like to know.

HM3

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Status
I am the LPO of command fitness

What division do you work at?
Small Navy; big internet. You should delete the name. You wouldn't have worked as staff at FMTB? :)

Edit- See what I did there?

Apr 5, 2011
Tazewell, TN
Status
Medical Student
They don't cover tuition? I have not researched that much but it sounds like a bad deal. You could be out of service and still use the GI Bill; not owing 7 more years is it? Unless of course you are wanting to stay in obligation to the service due to your love of country; and if so I applaud you greatly. Thank you for your service.
Only owe 4 years and I still owe a lot regardless. Also its a much better financial decision for prior service then HPSP. Also its better financially if you plan on going into family practice, pediatrics, etc. (beats civilian pay especially considering benefits, retirement, pay that you get during school and residency, etc.)

But it cant compete with civilian radiology, ortho, derm, etc.

Apr 5, 2011
Tazewell, TN
Status
Medical Student
Can you send me this powerpoint as well? I've been out for 3 years now; but am ignorant to the program and would still like to know.
Send me your email via private message and I will email it to you as soon as I get to work tomorrow morning. :D