1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

how do you prepare for internship?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by phillyfornia, Mar 21, 2007.

1. phillyfornia

phillyfornia Member
    7+ Year Member

i am a fourth year medical student who is about to begin an internship at a pretty tough medicine program. i was wondering what you guys thought was the best way to prepare for internship. it seems like so long since i've done any real work and i feel like i know NOTHING at all right now. i've heard of some people reading the first few sections of harrison's and some others doing resident-level MKSAP questions to prepare for internship. what do you guys/gals suggest? any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DeLaughterDO

DeLaughterDO Ghost in the Machine
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sleep.

As much as possible. Preferably for at least 24 hours straight, several days out of a week.

You won't get the chance again.

4. hawaiigirl

hawaiigirl Member
    15+ Year Member

yeah, i've asked interns for this advice before, and all their answers involve sleeping and not reading because nothing will prepare you... i guess i should take their advice.

5. jennyboo

jennyboo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't do anything that involves reading or spending money on pocket manuals for internship. :cool:

Regarding money for pocket manuals -- save the $30 to treat yourself to something.

6. hawaiigirl

hawaiigirl Member
    15+ Year Member

so without the pocket manual... what do you do at 3:30am on your first call night when you don't know anything and disaster strikes?!

7. EtOHWithdrawal

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Tell the nurse to call your resident, and then go back to sleep...:D

8. jennyboo

jennyboo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  9. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yeah, right....that'll go over REAL well (with the resident).:rolleyes:

10. drtx

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The key to doing well in residency...I'll give you an example of the same clinical scenario handled by different interns with the same pocket manual.
    A patient with chest pain..

Good intern: Gets to the bedside, asks for vitals, EKG, labs..after quickly (just a few minutes) assessing the pt. and calls resident while this is ongoing. Ask for help b/c you shouldn't be alone early on.

Bad intern: Picks up the phone IMMEDIATELY without getting anything going and calls the resident panicky while thumbing through one of those manuals.

Great intern: does #1 but also asks the pt for cardiac history and gets cardiologist phone number.

11. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Badder intern: calls Chief from the call room without seeing patient or having any data other than what the nurse said over the phone. I made that mistake ONCE.:laugh:

12. DeLaughterDO

DeLaughterDO Ghost in the Machine
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm sure that went over like a ton of bricks...

oopsie!

I think everyone makes at least one stupid mistake in their intern year. Heck, I probably make one a week... it's almost expected we will routinely have to remove our own foot from our mouth and our resident's foot from our a$$.

That's why it is called hell - I mean internship.

jd