How do you prepare for the writing samples?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raigon

This is an emergency.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I want to know what happens if you get like... a total score in the 40s, but you get a J. Will every single medical school reject you because you're a poor writer? I mean, it might be the same as getting 15 in both PS and BS, but a 1 in your verbal. I know people say they don't emphasize the writing samples as much, but they're still there, and if you get a bad score of a J, that's like suicide.

I'm getting a bit worried, can everyone post how they prepare for the writing samples? As in, frequency (in unit hrs per week, and what you do a day), the methods (how you prepare), and how you get the diagnosis of your score (Unfortunately I don't have the princeton review, I heard they have online essay gradings).

The EK review did nothing for the writing sample. I have the Kaplan 2007~2008 Premier program, will their writing section help in any way?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately I don't have the princeton review, I heard they have online essay gradings
Yeah in my Kaplan classroom course they also do essay grading.

I think the Kaplan Writing Sample method works!

I assume that you're also sending a personal statement as part of your AMCAS app? Well, when you do that, you'll have a chance to show med schools that you're indeed literate.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't really have to "prepare" for WS. I spent about 2 hours the day before my test to read the prompt and formulate a very generic outline (outline, topic sentence, etc.) which was the same for both essays I wrote. I also completely made up historical events for the examples. The essays I wrote were very straightforward. I ended up with a Q.

The only preparation i did was with the practice tests so I got more and more comfortable how to write. I just followed the tasks, and do what is asked (whatever kaplan says to do). If you really don't feel comfortable, maybe writing a list of a few examples can be helpful so that before the writing sample you can look it over to give you some ideas. I wanted to do that myself, but I decided to spend my time studying for other things and relaxing lol. I may have to prep for it more for the next txam, but I'm hoping I did alright on the real test. I just want a P.

Oh yeah, I got my essay graded by kaplan a few times and i got a 4-5s, so I just tried to follow some of the advice they gave me with the writing and it helped. If you can get someone to look at some of your essays, definitely helpful.

i only did one real practice writing prompt on the diagnostic PR test online and got an O. I also read up on the structure from a PR book and took notes. I ended up getting an S. I think as long as you have the structure down, you're good.