how do you pronounce HIPAA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mindquick

how do you pronounce HIPAA?

Members don't see this ad.

its pronounced
hip-ah

Members don't see this ad :)
pronounced like the feminine version of hippo.

Just say, Health insurance portability and accountability act ( i think)!!

Just say hippopotamus, take off the potamus part but stay it the same way.

my God! no! not hippa!

High-pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
HIP-PUH, that's h-short i-pp-schwa

Geez guys, can't you see that there are two "A"s?

It's pronounced Hip-uh-uh. :cool:

The better question is, why are you guys worrying about this now? :)

The "HIPAA" was all the rage on the dance floors in the 50's. That is until parents found out and school officials stopped allowing the somewhat naughty dance that only "a tramp" would attempt.

On a more serious note:

It is certainly pronounced HIP-UH. There is not a second "P" sound as implied by HIP-PUH.

Oh, and JCAHO is pronounced JAY-KOH.

Neither one of them really make total sense but that is how it is.

Remember the AHSME in high school? Was always pronounced "ash-me."

OK, I'm a nerd. :(

Remember the AHSME in high school? Was always pronounced "ash-me."

OK, I'm a nerd. :(

No I don't. You truly are a nerd. Maybe we should just PM since we are just going back and forth on threads, haha.

No I don't. You truly are a nerd. Maybe we should just PM since we are just going back and forth on threads, haha.

Last post for a while, promise.

AHSME = American High School Mathematics Examination. Followed by the AIME (American Invitational Mathematics Examination).

Hip...Hipa...Hipaapotamus?

On a more serious note:

It is certainly pronounced HIP-UH. There is not a second "P" sound as implied by HIP-PUH.

Oh, and JCAHO is pronounced JAY-KOH.

Neither one of them really make total sense but that is how it is.

Not to wander off subject, but JCAHO has changed its name officially to just Joint Commission. They'll still drive you just as crazy though :laugh:.

Not to wander off subject, but JCAHO has changed its name officially to just Joint Commission. They'll still drive you just as crazy though :laugh:.

I agree, I was on a floor volunteering for an entire semester (mid Jan to the last week of April). Every week I was told the JCAHO was possibly going to be there next week. They never showed, as far as I know, over that period. I was peaking around corners, making sure no one was there to pick me off. I heard from several nurses and the coordinator that they like to talk to volunteers.

And to respond to LifetimeDoc, since I still can't figure out how to quote more than one person at the same time, if its even possible, that kind of irks me when I see HIPPA, haha. People then try to give the meaning of the acronym and its usually horrendous. :laugh:

And to respond to LifetimeDoc, since I still can't figure out how to quote more than one person at the same time, if its even possible, that kind of irks me when I see HIPPA, haha. People then try to give the meaning of the acronym and its usually horrendous. :laugh:

It helps if you think about the P in Accountability as being silent. ;)

It's hip-puh. And it has nothing to do with HMOs, btw. :confused:

Yeah, I'm wondering myself where all of this HMO business came from. I think a bunch of y'all need to google HIPAA and read up on it...because more so than mispronouncing it is not even understanding what it is.

JCAHO is Satan.

c'mon, I want the guy to say HIGH-pay-ah

i think i might have violated it in my personal statement...
Did you give any identifying information such as DOB, full name, social security number, institution treated at, etc.? You should be fine if you said Nancy came into the hospital and crashed infront of my eyes. Dr So and So revived her and I knew I wanted to be a doctor from then on.