how do you research schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iCY

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you research schools? i've heard of schools being identified as research or clinical oriented schools. how do I find mroe about this?? or do i need to read every page of the MSAR??

what are some good clinical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you research schools? i've heard of schools being identified as research or clinical oriented schools. how do I find mroe about this?? or do i need to read every page of the MSAR??

what are some good clinical schools?

Read the MSAR.

i read the msar, the usnews book, talked to every person I knew that was in med school, emailed admissions offices

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the schools' websites have very useful information. Rather than going to the "Prospective Students" section, go to the "Current Student" section and look at the financial aid info, academic calendars, student handbook, etc.

I used the MSAR and looked at location, tuition, living expenses, grading, and percentage of applicants receiving interviews. I somewhat looked at the curriculum structure.

Most of the schools' websites have very useful information. Rather than going to the "Prospective Students" section, go to the "Current Student" section and look at the financial aid info, academic calendars, student handbook, etc.

I agree with this....here is something I did for myself for schools that interested me...and I used the school websites, MSAR, NIH website, and www.aamc.org:

55. Albert Einstein (first school researched using new MSAR book components…must change everything above…also the first school where I considered presence of a gym as an imp component to "student support"…also reflects actual percentage of residency match programs)
First Year Student Budget: $59,480 Score: -1
Financial Aid/etc…: Albert Einstein maintains a pretty good chest of financial aid resources. In addition to government sponsored aid, students can qualify for the institutional financial assistance programs….Einstein Loan Program: schools will loan out a max of $7,000 per student…amt loaned does not accrue interest while still in school; Einstein Donor Supported Grants: these are both academic and need based…range of grant is between $1,000 and $3,000; Academic/Merit Based Scholarships: as title suggests these are solely merit based…students can receive from $10,000 to $40,000 per year…% or students receiving financial aid: 73%, Average Amount per Scholarship/Grant: $6,705, Average 2007 Graduate Indebtedness: $150,090 Score: 0.5
Curriculum/etc…: General curriculum characteristics: Einstein uses a truly interdisciplinary approach to teaching its students with courses that emphasize primarily self-directed learning through either a case-based or problem based method. Lectures, seminars, and labs make up the remainder of The aim is for students to work cooperatively toward the solution of clinical problems of varying complexity, with assistance from faculty facilitators when necessary, and in so doing acquire and hone skills needed for lifelong self-directed learning. About half of the preclerkship curriculum consists of case conferences plus laboratory sessions, clinical encounters and other interactive educational strategies. Classes take place in basic lecture hall, lab, and conference settings. There are also courses in which students interact with patients, learn the basics of patient-doctor communication, acquire physical examination and diagnostic skills, study medical ethics, and learn how psychosocial and cultural factors affect patient behavior. Medical Spanish courses are offered in both first and second year as electives. Specifics: Students begin their study at Einstein with 19 weeks of preclerkship material, through which the majority of subject integration occurs. Students are typically taught in groups ranging from 10 to 25. 1st Year: courses: Histology and Cell Structure, Clinical and Developmental Anatomy, Cardiovascular Physiology, The Renal System, Disease Mechanisms, Principles of Pharmacology, Principles of Preventive Medicine and Clinical Research, Molecular and Cellular Foundations of Medicine – this is a prime example of how previously separate courses have been integrated into one. This course in particular covers and integrates biochemistry, genetics, cell biology, immunology, and general physiology ( I personally think that is really cool)….finally, students also get their dosage of the clinical process through an Introduction to Clinical Medicine : Introduction to the Patient/The Clinical Experiences/Ethics course…Hallmarks of the course during the first year are the clinical experiences and small-group discussions that enable students to develop history-taking and interviewing skills. In the second year, the focus shifts to the clinical examination. In addition to teaching knowledge and skills, the ICM program aims to nurture attitudes needed for respectful and compassionate interaction with patients and their families, help students to understand and appreciate the sociocultural context of illness and disease, and teach students the principles and concepts needed to deal effectively with issues and dilemmas in medical ethics. Unfortunately, students do not officially have early patient contact through preceptorships (too bad)….The first year curriculum includes elective mini-courses in Alternative and Complementary Medicine, Nutrition in Clinical Medicine, and Medical Spanish. Spanish language training in the first year is provided at beginning, intermediate and advanced levels (nice…most schools offer one level of the class and it is usually basic level crap). 2nd year: students begin to transition into more of a pathologically based curriculum (although it is a little diff from the typical transition you see in other schools that follow a typical preclinical curriculum). Students take: Nervous System and Human Behavior – incorporates neuroscience, neuropathology, psychopathology and that section of the pharmacology course dealing with the central nervous system. Most organ system courses that once consisted mainly of topics in pathophysiology and anatomic pathology also include the relevant organ system physiology, pharmacology, radiology and epidemiology. Other courses: Cardiovascular Medicine, Endocrine System, Reproductive System and Human Sexuality, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases, Hematology, Musculo-Skeletal Disorders, Micriobiology and Infectious Diseases – provides integrated view of microbial biology and disease together with an understanding of pharmacologic interventions; anatomic pathology correlates of certain infectious diseases have also been incorporated into the course….Parisitology and Global Medicine, and finially Introduction to Clinical Medicine: The Clinical Examination (self explanatory). In the second year, all students are required to take instruction in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) with certification by the American Heart Association. Medical Spanish elective courses continue with offerings at beginning, intermediate and advanced levels. As a transition into third year students are required to a series of sessions entitled "Introduction to Clinical Clerkships"…these sessions are actually apart of a course entitled "Patient, Doctors and Communities" that continues into the third year. 3rd year: Students begin their required clinical clerkships: Internal Medicine (11 weeks), Pediatrics (7 weeks), Psychiatry (6 weeks), OB/GYN (6 weeks), General Surgery (8 weeks), Family Medicine (4 weeks), Radiology (2 weeks), Geriatric Medicine (2 weeks)…students also participate in an inter-clerkship program in prevention, professionalism and ethics. At the end of year three, each student participates in a six-hour assessment of history- taking, physical examination and differential diagnosis skills through the use of standardized patients. CD's of each student's encounter with a standardized patient are reviewed with faculty, and remedial assistance is provided to students who do not achieve an acceptable level of clinical competence. 4th year: consists of required and elective clinical courses…Required courses: Subinternship in Medicine and Pediatrics (8 weeks), Ambulatory Care Program in Medicine, Pediatrics, or Family Medicine (4 weeks), Neurology (4 weeks)…This leaves students with 7 moths to take elective courses which are also available in one and two month blocks. It is during this time that students are eligible to participate in one of the several international exchange programs that Einstein Offers. Specifically, Einstein runs several exchange programs in France, Israel, Sweden, and Japan. In addition to these exchange programs students also have the opportunity to participate in away rotations/projects through the Global Health Fellowship Program or through a faculty sponsored international summer clinical research program…so there are ample opportunities for students to experience medicine abroad. Curricular Innovations: Standard Patient Program, integration of a Disaster Medicine and Bioterrorism mini-course into the Pulmonary Medicine & Critical Care and Microbiology & Infectious Disease courses…Patients, Doctors, and Communities course – During clerkship rotations in the third year, students from different clerkships gather together in small groups to participate in case-based discussions of topics and issues in prevention, professionalism and ethics. Another way to describe it: New longitudinal curriculum in social and behavioral sciences designed to enhance student¿s knowledge and skills in clinical prevention, cultural competency, ethics, complementary/alternative medicine and communication; and to instill understanding of and appreciation for professionalism and humanism in medicine. This inter-clerkship curriculum consists of 17 sessions scheduled periodically during the 48 week clerkship period….Medical Student Projects Program, Scholarly Project (required thesis), Clinical Skills Center…..Grading Intervals: Preclerkship years: 2 intervals (Pass/Fail), 5 intervals (Honors/High Pass/Pass/Marginal Pass/Fail) supplemented by detailed narrative reports for remaining two years Score: 14.75
#Affiliated Hospitals/Clinical Facilities: 21 + several clinical facilities Score: 9
Selection Factors: private, rolling admissions…Overall mean GPA: 3.73, Mean non-science GPA: 3.76, Mean science GPA: 3.69…Overall Median GPA: 3.77, Median Science GPA: 3.77….Mean MCAT: 32.3…Breakdown: P: 11, V: 10.3, B: 11….Median MCAT: 33Q…Breakdown: P: 11, V: 11, B: 11, writing: Q ( Ranges: P: 6 – 14, V: 6 – 15, B: 7 – 15, writing: L – T)…7416 applications for 1446 interview slots. Score: 3.5
Diversity: 10% URM, 33% Minority Score: 8.5
Dual Degree Options: MD/MPH, MD/MS, MD/PhD Score: 4.75
Student Support: Strong Office of Diversity Enhancement. This office, formerly known as the Office for Minority Student Affairs, sponsors several support programs and events…including the annual two-day Minority Student Retreat held after the first week of classes in nearby Tarrytown, New York….hmmmm I know for sure that this school does have several student clubs/support groups...Ok here we go…it took me a while to find them…I will say that it seems like many of the active student run organizations on campus work in close coordination with the College of Medicine to undertake specific programs…i.e many of these clubs seem to actually have a purpose for existing…Specifically, there are many groups that fit under what is know as the "Einstein Umbrella" (EU) – an umbrella organization of student groups at Einstein that share the common goals of educating and acting in the community both locally and globally about issues of health and social justice. This committee will focus with optimal coordination and effectiveness the uniquely dynamic energy, leadership, and other potentially shared resources of the diverse groups at Einstein to further develop local and global service projects, educational activities and other initiatives towards healing (see website for more info on specific clubs besides the ones I am going to mention next)…two very active minority student organizations on campus: SNMA and the BLHO…Together, the organizations host many events during the school year, including lectures, clothing drives, and a senior dinner for graduating medical students. Upon matriculation, students are assigned a peer advisor and may request that the Associate Dean for Students assign him/her a faculty advisor to provide advice and counsel during the early period of adjustment. During the clerkship period, each student has access to faculty advisors whose primary role is to discuss career opportunities and help the student to plan the senior elective period. An organized program of career advising is presented each year. Students also have access to peer tutoring services, academic advising, and cognitive skills consults through the Office of Academic Support and Counseling….oh yeah, students are also encouraged to participate in "The Einstein Program for Personal Wellness"….Curricular Support: Very well structured computer based education meant to complement actual classroom learning; biomedical library, standardized patient program, Price Center (currently under construction)…will contain clinical skills center…Pre-matriculation program. Other support services: Shuttle services, half-way decent fitness facility Score: 10.75
Housing: This school has outstanding housing facilities that are affordable and conveniently located. Two large apartment towers!!! Of course no cheap off campus housing in NYC (just no possible…but the apartments more than make up for the fact that Einstein does not have off campus affiliated or cheap housing (in nice areas) surrounding the campus Score: 4.5
Location: The Bronx!!!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh snap!!!!! Hahahahaha LOL…NYC…there are positives and negatives. The good thing about the being in the Bronx is that there are probably more open spaces with trees that give it more of a suburbia feel…but still very much connected to all the hustle and bustle. No need a car here….amazing public transportation system…amazing night life, culture, etc… Score: 6++++++
Class Size: 184 Score: 4
Residency Match List: 47% of past graduates entered a primary care residency program, 31% of past graduates entered non primary care residency programs
Volunteer/Research Opportunities: This school has an obvious commitment to community service and involvement, which it demonstrates through the numerous community outreach initiatives, programs, and partnerships. Many of the implemented programs are organized through an established Center of Excellence in Partnerships for Community Outreach, Research in Health Disparities, and Training (Project EXPORT) called the "Bronx CREED (Bronx Center to Reduce and Eliminate Ethnic and Racial Health Disparities." Bronx CREED is part of the College of Medicine's initiative in building academic-community partnerships through its Institute for Community and Collaborative Health, Hispanic Center of Excellence, and long-standing relationships with community organizations and its affiliated teaching hospitals, Montefiore Medical Center and Jacobi Medical Center. The center's mission revolves around promotion, coordination, and integration of health disparities research at the College of Medicine; community outreach, information dissemination, and collaboration; health disparities education for health professionals, community members, policymakers and public officials; training of investigators at the undergraduate, graduate and post-doctoral levels; and strengthening and expanding existing academic-community partnerships in the Bronx. The Albert Einstein Cancer Center also maintains its own outreach program that it uses to educate community members (kids…lots of school-based cancer education…and adults), through various activities and events, about prevention, treatment, etc….Specifically (from their website): The Community Outreach Program is committed to a close partnership with the Bronx community and its leaders in order to bring cancer information and support activities closer to residents. The goal is to provide the knowledge that promotes healthy behavior and the support that promotes hope and quality of life….There are also several student run organizations that are actively involved in the community…Many students also take the opportunity to assist in the operation of Einstein Community Health Outreach (ECHO), which is essentially a free clinic that provides quality, comprehensive health care to the uninsured population…….Research Opportunities/fellowships: It is also quite evident that this school takes pride in developing well-rounded physicians who also have a solid understanding of research processes…i.e. Students have many opportunities to get involved in research activities. As you know, students are responsible for engaging in a scholarly project (which is a current new trend in many medical schools), for which they must turn in a final research paper. And it is not like students are severely limited in their topics of choice. Students engage in a scholarly project through their participation in the "Medical Student Projects Program." This program essentially represents a major opportunity for students to get involved in something truly awesome!!!!! Students projects are classified and organized according to the following divisions: 1. Division of Basic and Clinical Research, 2. Division of Global Health, 3. Division of Community and Population Health, and 4. the Division of Ethics and Humanism in Medicine….I am not going to go into details (unless I get an interview invite from this school) b/c the choices are quite expansive….But I will say that these divisions each include their own fellowships (of various kinds…summer research fellowships, Einstein research fellowships, Senior research fellowships)…all of which are funded….I'm sorry but THIS IS SWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once students have decided on a scholarly project to pursue they then find faculty members (in the corresponding field/s) to serve as mentor(s). The school also maintains a very extensive list of other inter-institutional research opportunities involving national research centers/programs. One other cool thing is that students are encouraged to prepare and submit their scholarly pursuits (and other research write ups) to the Einstein Journal (peer reviewed of course)….AWESOME!!!......Research Facilities: This school of medicine maintains a slew of major research centers and institutes that definitely put this school on the map. Einstein is currently in the process of completing the construction of their "baby"…i.e. the Price Center/Block RESEARCH Pavilion. The building will house 40 state-of-the-art laboratories in addition to research support facilities and a 100-seat auditorium. With the addition of this new building Einstein will have a total of six major research buildings on campus….Einstein has also done an outstanding job of developing their multidisciplinary research programs…This commitment to multidisciplinary research is manifest in such well-established activities as those carried on by investigators involved in cancer research at our NCI-designated Albert Einstein Cancer Center, liver research at the medical school's Bessin Liver Center, the neurosciences at the Rose F. Kennedy Center for Mental ******ation and Developmental Disabilities, diabetes at the Diabetes Research and Training Center, sickle cell research at The Sickle Cell Center, gerontology at the Jack and Pearl Resnick Gerontology Center, AIDS at the Center for AIDS Research, and general clinical research at the General Clinical Research Center. Total NIH Funding: $156,297,727 (rank: 27th), Total NIH Research Funding: $139,932,454….Einstein continues to receive more significant awards as we speak (see website…it is all over their web-page) Score: 12++++++++++++++
Miscellaneous: Really cool video on admissions page…As a Jewish school, Einstein observes the Jewish Holidays…not sure how that would interfere with my study schedule. Many Einstein students devote a fifth year of study, with no extra tuition cost, to projects in research, global health, health policy or public health...a friend of mine says minority students receive a half-tuition scholarship to attend (that sounds nice)….Other cools things: Hispanic Center for Excellence…this school definitely has a commitment to the growing Hispanic community….Several major exchange programs…when I say several…I mean several!!!!….Cost of secondary: $110 – $115 (MSAR says something diff from what website says) Score: 2.5

Total Score:

Last edited:

ditto. :thumbup: good advice.

riceman, wtf is that?

Ask useful questions on SDN. Easiest way to start this off is to make a thread with the schools you think are good, list your stats, and have people comment on them. We'll weed out the money pits for you.