How do you respond if an interviewer asks you about a state you have no ties to/don't really know about?

D

deleted993098

For example, let's say I have an interview in a state I have no ties to and do not really know much about. Let's also assume the state isn't cali, ny, or any of the famous states. If the interviewer asks me why this state, how should I respond? What if the school's mission names the state and I have no ties to the state?

D

deleted993098

Google.com

I get that part lol, but wouldn't it be a bit insincere to say you want to live and practice medicine in a state you've never been to before because you learned about whatever online?

About the Ads

notsobabydoc

I love my blue name!
Removed
Aug 31, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I get that part lol, but wouldn't it be a bit insincere to say you want to live and practice medicine in a state you've never been to before because you learned about whatever online?
Then why did you apply there?

Reactions: 4 users

curbsideconsult

2+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Everyone knows the game. You shouldn't lie, but you can find SOMEthing you like about a state and embellish on it:

Nevada - deserts seem nice and the tourist population probably leads to some interesting cases at the hospitals
Illinois - I really like corn
Tennessee - Southern hospitality and Nashville
Georgia - peaches are delicious
Florida - Floridaman seems like a cool guy to hang out with

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
D

deleted993098

Then why did you apply there?

It's a competitive process and stat-wise some schools were good targets. I would attend if they were my only acceptance rather than wait a year and try for a better school. In the end I want to become a doctor and could care less about which school I go to. But I doubt adcoms wanna hear that lol

Reactions: 1 users

notsobabydoc

I love my blue name!
Removed
Aug 31, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It's a competitive process and stat-wise some schools were good targets. I would attend if they were my only acceptance rather than wait a year and try for a better school. In the end I want to become a doctor and could care less about which school I go to. But I doubt adcoms wanna hear that lol
tell that to the school and see if you will get in. so yeah come up with some better answer.

Reactions: 1 user

Cornfed101

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

you can’t think of or find any reason why you would like to attend that school or live in that state? Then you shouldn’t interview there. Spend 5 min on google and find something. What state is it? Maybe we can help you compile a list.

Reactions: 2 users
Aug 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
You can figure something out. Google is your friend. If all else fails see if you can visit the school and ask the medical students why they picked that school. :p

Aug 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Nevada - deserts seem nice and the tourist population probably leads to some interesting cases at the hospitals
Illinois - I really like corn
Tennessee - Southern hospitality and Nashville
Georgia - peaches are delicious
Florida - Floridaman seems like a cool guy to hang out with

Seriously?

D

deleted993098

you can’t think of or find any reason why you would like to attend that school or live in that state? Then you shouldn’t interview there. Spend 5 min on google and find something. What state is it? Maybe we can help you compile a list.

It's Iowa. I like the school, it has good opportunities, it's just the state that is stumping me tbh. Their mission is "to inspire and educate world class health care providers and scientists for the people of Iowa and our global community."

I have no ties there.

Some googling tells me Iowa:
  • Has a low cost of living
  • Is very safe
  • 4 seasons (not really a pro for me since I dislike winter, but I guess I can spin it as one)
But I don't know if these are compelling enough reasons. I would attend the school no doubt and honestly am the type of person who is not too concerned about the state I live in as I think I can get used to things and am more intersted in the people around me if that makes sense.

Cornfed101

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It's Iowa. I like the school, it has good opportunities, it's just the state that is stumping me tbh. Their mission is "to inspire and educate world class health care providers and scientists for the people of Iowa and our global community."

I have no ties there.

Some googling tells me Iowa:
  • Has a low cost of living
  • Is very safe
  • 4 seasons (not really a pro for me since I dislike winter, but I guess I can spin it as one)
But I don't know if these are compelling enough reasons. I would attend the school no doubt and honestly am the type of person who is not too concerned about the state I live in as I think I can get used to things and am more intersted in the people around me if that makes sense.

Those are good, and you can say you like the other 3 seasons. Otherwise I would just have good reasons for the school specifically.

Reactions: 3 users

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Do you want to practice in Iowa? If not, say that you want to be educated at a world class facility in order to be a physician who serves the global community... and Iowa seems like the perfect place for someone with those goals.

Reactions: 5 users
D

deleted1005514

I applied to a state I had zero ties to, and got in. When asked why [school], I elaborated on the mission of the school, the growing economy of the area, and the excellent local school district for my kids.

There was an offhand comment about my home weather and the new locale’s weather bring different, so I was enthusiastic about the prospect of snow (we don’t get any where I came from), 4 real seasons, outdoor activities, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
D

deleted993098

Do you want to practice in Iowa? If not, say that you want to be educated at a world class facility in order to be a physician who serves the global community... and Iowa seems like the perfect place for someone with those goals.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will take that approach. I might practice in Iowa if I end up liking it there over my 4 years (assuming I'm accepted) but I don't know at the moment.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
You should know a bit about Iowa. The largest city has a population of about 210,000 and the population of the entire state is a little over 3 million. There are cities in the US with larger populations that all of Iowa.

It is 90%white, 72% of those living in Iowa were born there, and just 1% of the population identify with non-Christian based faiths. The vast majority of the population speak only English.

Iowa has a shortage of physicians providing patient care and ranks about 46th in the country in number of physicians providing patient care per 100,000 population.

You might like that population and decide to spend your life there. Iowa is counting on people who will.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.