How do you shine in neurosurgery rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watermen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, let's admit, most of the time you probably don't get to do stuff as a student. So how do you shine in such a rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, let's admit, most of the time you probably don't get to do stuff as a student. So how do you shine in such a rotation?
First, I am not sure whether I have understood the phrase "do stuff" in the proper manner.
In my countries we can get enough chance to practise if we have built up a good relationship with the attending and the chief. Sometimes you are not able to discriminate students on rotation from residents. Your chances depend on your attitude and your ability. The discipline is not so strict on who can do and who cannot do.
Last, I wish to know the exact meaning of "do stuff". Is there anyone that could help me? Thanks in advance!

students on away rotations are primarily judged upon work ethic, character, interpersonal skills and knowledge base. we don't care if you can operate or put in a central line; that's what training during residency is for. if you are technically skilled, that's great, but we're more interested in what kind of person you are and if we think you'll fit in.

as far as "doing stuff," it depends on the rotation, the resident, the attending, and the institution. i let medical students put in central lines and help in the OR, especially during closure. once, i talked a second year student through a tumor resection. she did the whole thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
dang...you sound awesome kennyliu

where are you training and how much longer will you be there for? :-D

Look at his profile..he'll be in training for one one yeare unless he subspecializes.

Drop the bone flap!

Oh wait, thats how you get a shiner.

-Mike