How do you sleep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SayitIsntSO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How the hell did you sleep before your DAT? I've got 4 days to go and I've developed wicked insomnia, mabe I should go to blood parasite group meetings ( it worked for ed norton in fight club) :laugh: . Everytime I close my eyes, I visualize the entire cellular respiration system. I stare off into space imagining cubes being folded. I seriously don't know how the rest of you slept. All this and I still have 4 days to go. This better pay off...

Members don't see this ad.

I know its a nightmare.....thats why you have to nail it the first time so you never have to go through the experience again.

Perhaps try benedryl to really knock yourself out :) I'd try it out before the night of the actual test though, to make sure you aren't too drowsy when you wake up (though the pre-test adrenaline will probably perk you up!)

I actually don't remember how I slept the night before my test.. But my exam time wasn't until noon or 1, so I didn't have to get up early.

Good luck to you :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just study until you can't sleep, or set a time to go to bed and stop studying then, I don't think you should taken any medication or sleep aides...could set your body off come later when you take the test. Being anxious is a good sign before test day, keeps you alert and on the edge. I'm sure you'll do great because it looks like you are taking this test very seriously.

dexadental said:
Just study until you can't sleep, or set a time to go to bed and stop studying then, I don't think you should taken any medication or sleep aides...could set your body off come later when you take the test. Being anxious is a good sign before test day, keeps you alert and on the edge. I'm sure you'll do great because it looks like you are taking this test very seriously.

2 Nights before test, go to bed late, get up early....then night before test, you'll HAVE to go to bed early because you'll be tired

nightcap is always good

or try what i did for the national boards.. eat soo much crap that all the blood ran to the stomach and i feel sleep!.. try this caution!!

The place I took the test was far from my house, so I got a motel close to the center. I went to bed at 3 am, woke up at 3:30 am and studied until 10 am and took the test at 11.

RE4 said:
The place I took the test was far from my house, so I got a motel close to the center. I went to bed at 3 am, woke up at 3:30 am and studied until 10 am and took the test at 11.

Wow.....you got heart

SayitIsntSO said:
How the hell did you sleep before your DAT? I've got 4 days to go and I've developed wicked insomnia, mabe I should go to blood parasite group meetings ( it worked for ed norton in fight club) :laugh: . Everytime I close my eyes, I visualize the entire cellular respiration system. I stare off into space imagining cubes being folded. I seriously don't know how the rest of you slept. All this and I still have 4 days to go. This better pay off...

Meletonin... its even mentioned in the kaplan book.. available OTC
i have 20 days till test day and have tried it out 3 days so far.. does get you drowsy and supposedly give you a more restfull sleep.. (or alows you to sleep less and still ber rested)

first night i split a 3 mg tab in 4 and took .75 mg.. but i read some people take 6mg.. so i just started taking 3mg tab.. tonights my second nioght with 3mg.. took it 50 minutes ago and my eyes are heavy.. off to bed..
:sleep:

definitely give yourself some relax time. you don't want to be too anxious on the day of the test...or worse too tired to function properly.

do some lite review the afternoon before, and then relax the entire evening. have some fun. loosen up, get some sleep, and eat a decent breakfast...your mind and body will need the energy during the exam regardless if you are a breakfast person or not

4thQtrDreams said:
Meletonin... its even mentioned in the kaplan book.. available OTC
i have 20 days till test day and have tried it out 3 days so far.. does get you drowsy and supposedly give you a more restfull sleep.. (or alows you to sleep less and still ber rested)

first night i split a 3 mg tab in 4 and took .75 mg.. but i read some people take 6mg.. so i just started taking 3mg tab.. tonights my second nioght with 3mg.. took it 50 minutes ago and my eyes are heavy.. off to bed..
:sleep:

I like the melatonin idea. It is entirely possible you should take some time off and go for a run or something to help with the nerves. That way you can obsess while at the gym and have time after the gym to actually do something about the obsessing.

"On top of a pile of money with many beautiful women"

-Reneer Wolfcastle

Members don't see this ad :)
four hours a night..i have nightmares about people at dental schools telling me im not good enough so i cant sleep longer than that. ~5 weeks to go!

amsie said:
four hours a night..i have nightmares about people at dental schools telling me im not good enough so i cant sleep longer than that. ~5 weeks to go!

:eek:

amsie said:

If you are having this much trouble before the DAT, imagine what it is going to be like in dental school! I can barely sleep before my exams, and I've only been in school a month so far.

Fulcrum77 said:
If you are having this much trouble before the DAT, imagine what it is going to be like in dental school! I can barely sleep before my exams, and I've only been in school a month so far.

ill deal with that AFTER i get into dental school. first i have to get myself in :)

I think I tried the nightcap...it didn't work. I got about 4 hrs. before my dat. Try some benadryl...unless you have a prolonged QT interval.

amsie said:
ill deal with that AFTER i get into dental school. first i have to get myself in :)

That is one adorable pup.

crack a beer open and watch tv with light off. i recommend i love lucy reruns or one of those real estate investment infomercials.

I definately couldn't sleep the night before my DAT. But instead of thinking about biology or chemistry, I spent over 30 minutes wondering how they make straws. It was so frustrating. Then I pondered how they make the bendy elbow straws. Thinking about random stuff that didn't have a thing to do with the DAT helped me I think. I ended up doing really well.

i couldn't sleep two nights ago, so some of my friends dragged me out on a long bike ride yesterday (they argued that it can't really be that effective studying the night before) and a really really long bike ride will tire me out. And apparently it worked! I slept like a log last night, from 12 til about 8am and did splendidly on my exam today. So perhaps some strenuous exercize might help!

As the OP of this thread, i had a lot of options to choose from. i did a lot of things but i wanted to take thetime to say that melatonin worked the best. i wouldlike to thank the people who recommended it. this stuff is best b/c i dont wake up w that "hang over" rest from say tylenol PM. tomorrow is my test, i will let you know how it goes. melatonin doesnt really knock you out like the other stuff, but it makes u sleepy enough to rest and you still feel great the next day after 8 hours of sleep. the other stuff (pm stuff, and benadril) made me sleep all day the next day. so again, thanks

AMBIEN~
10mg will do ya fine :-D

SayitIsntSO said:

Try natural therapy. Ex., 2 valerian capsules or a cup of cammomile tea 1 hr b4 bedtime.

SayitIsntSO said:

Basically, you dont sleep...

I watched a bunch of funny clips on U-tube and went to bed. It really helped me to relax. I went to bed at 10 and worke up at 7; reviewed some stuffs till 9 and got to the center by 9:30. My exam started at 10. One important thing, I tried to be confident and kept teilling myself I tried my best, whatever happened tomorrow I wouldn't regret. Hope this helps!

:scared: well here goes:

bio:23
gen chem: 21
ochem: 20
PAT: 17
RC: 21
QR :.....13!!!!! Ouch..... wow!

TS: 21
AA: 20

please god accept, regardless of the QR... :scared: :eek:

study 18 hrs. then youll be able to sleep.