Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

How do you study for your PCAT???

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by kitty, Mar 2, 2007.

1. kitty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I am studying for June's PCAT However; I need some advice Where are you studying from? Which is the most succesfull way to study? What are the best studying techniques you are using? Please help!!!

2. fmbzp5

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist

I think it is based on what you find to be the best way. I suggest doing a practice test and see where you are lacking and start from there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lvp0021

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I suggest taking Gen Biol, O-chem, Human Phys, Cal before you take the test or at least being in these classes during the month you are taking the test. I scored terribly before I took Human A&P and after that the score went up quite a lot. To me the math and the chem are easy but the reading and the verbal might be challenging. For these, you should study like 5-10 words a week and just keep doing a lot of practice tests over and over. Good luck! And remember, PCAT does play a role in your admission decision but it does not ultimately determine if you get in or not. Do your best and have no regret!:)

4. fmbzp5

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist

I think studying words is a waste of time. what are the chances of correctly learning words that may show up on the test? When they even ask questions which are geography related it is hard to get a grasp on that section. I say practice the reading section to get used to how quickly you must go but otherwise the science sections are a little more consistant in their content.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lvp0021

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    It also depends on your personal preference of studying. I used the flash cards for vocab like I did when I took the SAT in high school. And I did a lot of practice test for the reading and the verbal also. That was my experience so use it at your discretion ;)

6. Avrelian

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Well I think is is a waste of a wage to employ people at $100K a year who dont even know their's native language
    and dont know basics of geography. Seriously, if you dont know till your age the capital of Greece or Germany, may be you should consider construction or something like that .

7. comet81

comet81 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I personally did bad on reading and vocab but I got 99 scores on math and chem. I also got around 80s on bio. Here's my tip for science. I used MCAT book. They have better and detailed descriptions.

8. Mentis

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I bought a PCAT review book. There are a few out there, and I chose one based on amazon.com reviews, it's a good place to look. Past studying the book, as has been stated, just take some of the prereq courses before taking the exam. If you do decent in semester 1 of orgo, you'll ace the orgo part of the chem section for sure, it's the same thing as semester 1 orgo, the basics. Likewise for some of the biology, but it's better to just study for that from the books, they have very good overviews.