how doable is a peds resiency with a family?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay i have a LONG way to go yet...lol (understatement of the century) but am already thinking ahead to a primary residency in either peds or ob/gyn before pursuing a specialty in medical genetics (but i must admit i am also *highly* interested in neonatology or maternal fetal medicine). i have two (going on three) children and am trying to figure out which residency will be more family friendly (so to speak). my children will be 11, 7 1/2 and 4 by time i start a program if that helps any :)
tia for any info or insight you have to share.

Members don't see this ad.

mommy2three said:
okay i have a LONG way to go yet...lol (understatement of the century) but am already thinking ahead to a primary residency in either peds or ob/gyn before pursuing a specialty in medical genetics (but i must admit i am also *highly* interested in neonatology or maternal fetal medicine). i have two (going on three) children and am trying to figure out which residency will be more family friendly (so to speak). my children will be 11, 7 1/2 and 4 by time i start a program if that helps any :)
tia for any info or insight you have to share.

It is totally doable (and probably easier than having babies during residency, which looks pretty tough!). I am an R2 and have 12 and 9 year olds. There are 2 other residents in my class that started with kids (3ish and 9 now). There are also combined peds/genetics programs to look at (I've heard Rochester may have one in the future, but not yet). You do have to have a supportive spouse/mother/nanny (one out of the 3 is fine-2 and you're golden. We have one). Can't comment on OB, but training is longer.