How does AADSAS calculate your GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

td_g

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone please explain how there can be a difference in your transcipt GPA vs the GPA that AADSAS calculates? In some of the stats posted, I have seen big discrepancies between the two.

Members don't see this ad.

aadsas calculates with letter grades whereas many schools use only a number system. so for example, all of the classes in which my school gave me a 3.5, aadsas only calculated a 3.3 because I had to report them as B+'s on the aadsas letter grade system. this page will show you what I mean.

Some schools print an A+, but don't give you any extra GPA points for it. AADSAS does. That's why every so often, someone on here has above a 4.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so that makes sense. Since I go to a school where they only give out letter grades, I didn't even think about the other scenario. I guess there are some advantages/disadvantages to either method.

A UPenn admissions officer came to my college on Monday and ask him about how they evaluated GPAs. He said that they basically, look and weigh the transcripts GPAs higher than the crazy AADSAS GPA calculation procedure. Finally some reasoning to AADSAS madness :rolleyes: