How does alkene+carboxylic acid=ester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MyRealNameIs

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi

I am doing Collins practice problem

The question is ethene + carboxylic acid + H+ -> ester

No explanation

I tried searching the web but couldn't find a mechanism

How does ethene attack in a way that it forms a ester?

I thought the double bond of the ethene would attack the alpha carbon and the OH will be released, forming a ketone with H2O.

Thanks
 
This looks similar to a reaction of ethene hydration. Perhaps a proton is released from the carboxylic acid and is grabbed by the pi electrons of ethene.

You now have a carbocation: CH3CH2+

Now this carbocation is susceptible to attack from the lone pair of the carboxylate anion, forming an ester.

That would be my best interpretation of a potential mechanism.