How does Beth Israel stack up against non-Harvards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GGale

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read repeatedly that BID is considered to be far below MGH and BW in prestige but I was wondering how it compared to non-Harvard programs.
Is it considered a top program in it's own right? Would it beat out other Boston programs like Tufts or BU?

I just don't have a sense of how it is ranked thinking nationally. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
G

Members don't see this ad.

In my mind, I think that BID ranks above both Tufts and BU. If I had to rank them according to prestige/reputation, I would have no hesitation in ranking BID #1.

GGale said:
I've read repeatedly that BID is considered to be far below MGH and BW in prestige but I was wondering how it compared to non-Harvard programs.
Is it considered a top program in it's own right? Would it beat out other Boston programs like Tufts or BU?

I just don't have a sense of how it is ranked thinking nationally. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
G

I agree GGale, it is too up in the air on how BID stacks up. It is never in any ranking because all the rankings just say "Harvard University". I have heard some friends in Boston who say that BID is even on par with BU. I view BU as a mediocre program in the grand scheme of the top notch programs. I think however, even though the name "BID" may not get you anywhere you ever desired throughout the nation, I think it has a good name with access to Harvard researchers/doctors who could probably write you good letters. I would put it ahead of Tufts and BU, but just be aware that you will feel like you are the "inferior" of the harvards and some people may not even know its affiliated with Harvard (not PD's but the public) because people always think of MGH (Man's Greatest Hospital) when they think of Harvard. Just my opinion, take what you want.