cobe3mat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi I recently found out about DO school as an option to medical school. I went to a DO forum at my college, and really like the atmosphere and like the DOs presenting (which were also teaching faculties at one of the in state DO school). So now I am super excited about this option! However, my first few years in college I was not a good student due to family issues and just being the first person in my family to go to college I really did not know how to be a good student in this setting. I am just wondering if you retook classes how does DO school look at your grade? Last quarter I retook ochem II (first time I got a grade of 2.0) and got a grade of 3.6 and ochem Lab I (first time I got a grade of 1.7 my lowest grade in college) and I 4.0 this class. I know that if I work hard I can do this my grade for last quarter was a cumulative of 3.75. I would really appreciate your advice and opinions. Thanks!

Mar 2, 2010
New York, New York
Status
Medical Student
Hi I recently found out about DO school as an option to medical school. I went to a DO forum at my college, and really like the atmosphere and like the DOs presenting (which were also teaching faculties at one of the in state DO school). So now I am super excited about this option! However, my first few years in college I was not a good student due to family issues and just being the first person in my family to go to college I really did not know how to be a good student in this setting. I am just wondering if you retook classes how does DO school look at your grade? Last quarter I retook ochem II (first time I got a grade of 2.0) and got a grade of 3.6 and ochem Lab I (first time I got a grade of 1.7 my lowest grade in college) and I 4.0 this class. I know that if I work hard I can do this my grade for last quarter was a cumulative of 3.75. I would really appreciate your advice and opinions. Thanks!​
Well what is your cumulative GPA as of now? Kind of need to know your science and non-science GPAs, also, to help you.

However, DO schools usually have lower average GPAs/MCAT scores than MD schools. Did you take your MCAT yet?

Either way, a competitive MCAT score would be 27 and up, and your GPA should be at least a 3.0, which is the cutoff for a lot of DO schools (some have a cutoff of 2.5).

I'll be matriculating in August at NYCOM, and I had a 29 MCAT and a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or 3.4, to give you an idea.

cobe3mat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
My cumulative right now is a 3.23 (if I work hard I can raise that up a bit) and my science gpa is 2.92 last time I checked but this was before my retake. I have not taken the MCATs yet.

Mar 2, 2010
New York, New York
Status
Medical Student
My cumulative right now is a 3.23 (if I work hard I can raise that up a bit) and my science gpa is 2.92 last time I checked but this was before my retake. I have not taken the MCATs yet.
Well, if you could raise your science GPA a bit that'd be helpful, but otherwise, a really competitive MCAT score could help if your GPA is lacking once you finish all your classes. So one of your best bets? Study extra hard for the MCAT!

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Hi I recently found out about DO school as an option to medical school. I went to a DO forum at my college, and really like the atmosphere and like the DOs presenting (which were also teaching faculties at one of the in state DO school). So now I am super excited about this option! However, my first few years in college I was not a good student due to family issues and just being the first person in my family to go to college I really did not know how to be a good student in this setting. I am just wondering if you retook classes how does DO school look at your grade? Last quarter I retook ochem II (first time I got a grade of 2.0) and got a grade of 3.6 and ochem Lab I (first time I got a grade of 1.7 my lowest grade in college) and I 4.0 this class. I know that if I work hard I can do this my grade for last quarter was a cumulative of 3.75. I would really appreciate your advice and opinions. Thanks!
You ready for the best news you'll hear all day?

DO schools aka AACOMAS, utilize 'grade replacement.' Which means that while your undergrad probably averages your original grade and retake (meaning an A and a C = a B), AACOMAS uses replacement. So, in your case ... ochem 2 is calculated at a 3.7 (A-), and ochem lab 1 is calculated at a 4.0 (A). End of story.

cobe3mat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Sweet! You totally made my day :laugh: I feel like studying extra hard now!

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Sweet! You totally made my day :laugh: I feel like studying extra hard now!
Yeah ... I retook 2 courses as well, and I remember feeling awesome after reading about AACOMAS grade replacement.

Good luck with the studying.

If you have any further questions, you can feel free to ask (but make sure to use the search engine and FAQ as much as possible), or send me a PM if you'd like.