How does IM work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RELAX11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused how IM works in regards to going on to cardiology or other specialty.

Ie do you have to make the decision before entering IM residency that you want to do a specialty through IM or can you leave all the options open?

So if I wanted to do IM initially and went through an IM residency but then changed my mind and decided I liked cardio, could I just continue on to cardio?

Members don't see this ad.

You apply for a cards spot during your IM residency. When you finish IM you go to the cards fellowship.

Yes I understand that.

What I was asking is if you have to make any path commitment when going into IM.

So if I choose IM with the intention of practicing IM (not cardio), can you apply to any of the specialties that go through IM without having the initial intent. Like a contract situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confused how IM works in regards to going on to cardiology or other specialty.

Ie do you have to make the decision before entering IM residency that you want to do a specialty through IM or can you leave all the options open?

So if I wanted to do IM initially and went through an IM residency but then changed my mind and decided I liked cardio, could I just continue on to cardio?

Yes, if you're interested in going on to cards or really an fellowship, the weight of your program will for better or worse play a large part in where you go if you elect to pursue specialty training, also the prestige will factor in if you apply for cards. So apply either to university programs in IM or if your numbers aren't quite there to university affiliates or community programs with affiliated cardiology fellowships. Look at where your prospective program places, is it sending to a wide variety of specialties? Does it send to highly competitive programs like cards, GI and Heme/Onc? Does it seem to send to one program in particular? What will your exposure be to these procedures? Is there a cardiac cath lab? Those are factors in choosing the program. Since cards is an IM or Peds fellowship, you must first complete a residency and then move on to fellowship. Seek out residencies that will give you good training in managing critically ill patients and has the variety of cases that will allow you to find the right path.

....What I was asking is if you have to make any path commitment when going into IM....

Yes, and No. You apply in your second year of IM, so you need to be preparing for it from the very beginning. No one finishes the residency, then decides to do it. But, no, it's not some "contract" thing.