How does informal Post bac work/Do I have chance at MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DriftaX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of right now I have 2.5 science gpa and 2.961 cum gpa. I have not taken the MCATs yet. I have no research experience but over 2000 hours of clinical exposure/shadowing. I am an Healthcare Instructor in Phlebotomy, EKG, and Medical Assisting. I am doing post back but I want to know how the GPA will be calculated. I am at private university where the course count for 4 credits rather than three. But the university I want to go to counts the lecture as 3 credits and Lab as 1 or for Organic Chemistry lab as 2. How does this affect my gpa.

I have failed a Microbio Lab and including that my sci gpa is 2.5 If I take everything over again (chem, bio, physics, orgo, microbio, physiology) and a few additional science classes (anatomy and biochem) and do A- work, how much would my gpa go up.

right now 42 credits passed (2 failed) gpa 2.5. Will take everything over again. What will my gpa be and my chances of getting in a MD school?

I am trying to get a research position as of now, but will my clinical exposure account for the lack of research?

Just tell me what is a good path to take.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You do still have time to pull up your grades though since you only have 42hrs.

I would just retake the classes I got lower than a C in at this point and try to make a 3.8+ every semester.

MD is a long shot depending on the MCAT score still......

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 42 science hours but 128 total hours. Getting my Bachelor's in May. Do I still have a shot?

I have 42 science hours but 128 total hours. Getting my Bachelor's in May. Do I still have a shot?

eh.. doesnt look very good....
aim for a high mcat (30+)
and get into a smp
if you do amazingly in the smp you'll get into either a D.O or M.D school

eh.. doesnt look very good....
aim for a high mcat (30+)
and get into a smp
if you do amazingly in the smp you'll get into either a D.O or M.D school

Bolded for emphasis.

SMP's your best bet and you need a very strong MCAT. I'd say "30+" is on the low side if you want a good chance, as 30 is below average for MD and just above average for DO. Also, the definition of "amazing" in an SMP isn't what it was in UG. Everyone does well in an SMP, so going that route means you have to outshine your classmates and top their 3.6s and 3.7s with perfect or near-perfect grades (we're talking 3.8-4.0, most likely). You still have a chance but it will be tough, so be sure you're prepared and then get the ball rolling. You can't really afford to slack off any longer.

If I do not do SMP right away and decide to do an informal post bacc do I have to go to a 4 year institution or could I go to a 2 year institution? Would the grades average out the same if at one school a class is worth 4 credits (including lab) and at another school its worth 3 credits (lecture) and 1 credit (lab)?

CC is fine, although a 4.0 at a CC isn't going to have as much weight as the same at a 4 year in an adcom's mind -- it may just further their belief that CCs are easy.
As for 3+1 credits or 4 straight, it doesn't really matter. Both are 4 credits to your GPA. Personally, I'd do the 4 straight as it allows your lecture and lab grades to boost each other in ways separating them out prevents, but it really depends upon how your grades tend to look. I kind of like having a 105% in lecture (yeay for premed classes all being freshmen level where profs think they need to offer EC to say the little freshmen) and then really only needing like a 60% in lab for the A (not saying I only get the 60, but it does mean I can worry less about my lab reports b/c my lecture grade will cover an OCD lab instructor).