How does malpractice w/ moonlighting during residency work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheComebacKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I have to purchase it on my own? Will the group/hospital I moonlight at provide this? Do I get any coverage under my residency?

These are probably all questions I should ask my program, but I was just curious how everyone else has it set up.

Members don't see this ad.

Do I have to purchase it on my own? Will the group/hospital I moonlight at provide this? Do I get any coverage under my residency?

These are probably all questions I should ask my program, but I was just curious how everyone else has it set up.

Group coverage in my neck of the woods, paid for by the group.

Residency policies generally do not cover moonlighting as you are practicing outside the aegis of residency.

I'm sure this goes without saying, but anyone moonlighting absolutely needs malpractice coverage. Make sure the terms are clear (e.g., occurrence coverage or not, etc).

Group coverage in my neck of the woods, paid for by the group.

Residency policies generally do not cover moonlighting as you are practicing outside the aegis of residency.

I'm sure this goes without saying, but anyone moonlighting absolutely needs malpractice coverage. Make sure the terms are clear (e.g., occurrence coverage or not, etc).

Should be covered by who you are moonlighting for. It will not be covered by your residency malpractice, unless you are moonlighting within your institution (ie you get paid to pickup extra shifts in the role of a resident).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Any residency policy malpractice policy is not going to cover moonlighting because you are practicing in a different scope (as an attending vs as a resident) with different risks.

Also worth noting that some larger medical systems are self insured, so even if you work there as an attending, that coverage does not extend to other institutions, even within the same state.

Also, if you don't already, know the difference between occurrence based and claims made policies.

Just wants to add that it's standard for them to include tail coverage as well.

Also, as a tip, make sure to ask the agency or group for a copy of your malpractice face sheet, cause you'll need it later when applying for hospital privileges.

Like others have said, your residency malpractice policy does not cover moonlighting. Malpractice for moonlighting should be covered by your locums company. Make sure they include tail. I moonlighted for Weatherby during my last 2 years of residency and their standard malpractice policy was completely adequate and they also included tail coverage.

I think turkeyjerky is talking about your COI (Certificate of Insurance) and makes a good point. Ask for a copy as you may need to show it during future credentialing.

Also, if you don't already, know the difference between occurrence based and claims made policies.
Is there any appreciable difference for me for claims + tail coverage vs an occurrence based policy?