How does my list look? How many schools should I be aiming to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1048707

Date of submission: next cycle! looking to submit as early as possible:)
Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.6 (one C+ is really dragging this down and this was due to some severe personal issues)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: slightly lower than 3.6
DAT score: 25AA/TS (20 PAT)
State of Residence: PA
Minority? No
Nontrad? No, applying at the end of junior year

Shadowing Experience: 120, general
Volunteering Experience: 150 (tutoring mostly and some other community oriented activities, could try to get this up)
Employment: Work as a paid tutor and office manager, also worked summer jobs etc nothing special tbh
Research: 10hr/week
Other Extracurriculars: Community Service Orgs and Greek life. I hold 3 leadership positions.
LOR type and strength: I think pretty strong?

Schools I'm looking at: Pitt, Temple, UCSF, Michigan, UPenn, Columbia, Case Western, UNC, UConn, Buffalo, Detroit Mercy, LECOM, NSU, Touro, VCU, NYU (really expensive :/), UNLV, Louisville, MWU-IL, ASDOH, Rutgers, Maryland

Currently concerned that my list may be a bit top heavy and heavy with OOS Public Schools (i.e. they have preferences for their in state students). How many schools should I apply to? A bit anxious about the prospective of not getting in...feel like my app isn't anything super special

Members don't see this ad.

also would like to go to schools that are on the cheaper end :)

I would say right out of the gate to knock NYU off your list, it’s significantly more expensive than even other private schools and just not worth applying to unless you’re set on a program like the HPSP

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say right out of the gate to knock NYU off your list, it’s significantly more expensive than even other private schools and just not worth applying to unless you’re set on a program like the HPSP
I agree its really $$ for me, however, it's stats seem a bit safer? Is it worth it to apply to a school that's expensive but safer stats wise (i.e. lower GPA and DAT) than my stats?

I agree its really $$ for me, however, it's stats seem a bit safer? Is it worth it to apply to a school that's expensive but safer stats wise (i.e. lower GPA and DAT) than my stats?
Your stats are stellar, I wouldn’t worry about it at all. You’re better off spending that money on a cheaper state school that’s OOS friendly. I also just counted your list and 21 is way too much imo, I would say 15 at most is more than enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I applied this cycle and I’m also from PA, your stats are almost identical to mine (your DAT is even a little higher). Your list looks decent but probably 9-12 schools should be plenty. Feel free to message me if you have any questions

Schools I'm looking at: Pitt, Temple, UCSF, Michigan, UPenn, Columbia, Case Western, UNC, UConn, Buffalo, Detroit Mercy, LECOM, NSU, Touro, VCU, NYU (really expensive :/), UNLV, Louisville, MWU-IL, ASDOH, Rutgers, Maryland
eliminate all the most expensive schools on here. your stats are great if not exceptional. you can get into most schools. aim for the cheapest ones. any interest in specializing? all schools are fine for it but UCSF/Michigan/Columbia will give you better chances IMO.

eliminate all the most expensive schools on here. your stats are great if not exceptional. you can get into most schools. aim for the cheapest ones. any interest in specializing? all schools are fine for it but UCSF/Michigan/Columbia will give you better chances IMO.
Thank you! I'm not too sure about specializing, but definetely want to explore it and have the option to do so

If you’re going to apply to Columbia I would keep Penn as well, at least they offer scholarships (Of course not everyone will get one but there’s a chance). Their specialization rates are also good.

I would also think about keeping LECOM, they have probably the lowest tuition out of all the private schools so its a good one to have on your list.