How does my school list look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlanAlanine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted some feedback on how my school list looks (on mdapps). I am applying for 2010 matriculation.

Other than that, I want to go somewhere with the cheapest tuition, and will accept me, haha. I'd prefer schools that are legitimately pass/fail, none of this *honors, high pass, pass* business, but beggars can't be choosers. Also, essay-free secondaries are a plus!

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You've got great numbers, but a lot of work to do on ECs. Your advisor is correct. Med schools will prefer to see a year and a half of sustained evidence of interest in the medical profession, and sustained altruistic service. You have just enough time to get involved before you plan to apply. You do have good leadership experience already.

I think a few more non-top-twenty additions to your school list would be a good idea, especially considering you've just started your research and don't yet know how things will work out with that. With so much time before application day 2010, you can research schools thoroughly before adding (or subtracting) them from your list.

Yeah, get on top of volunteering with patients right away. Don't procrastinate on this, because you should probably have at least 6 months of clinical experience by the time you apply. Shadow as well. You'll need to make the time but it's absolutely needed. Clinical is more important than research unless you're going for MD/PhD (which judging from your post is not the case), so you should prioritize. Not sure what you mean by volunteering in a non-clinical setting to gain experience, but definitely volunteer somewhere you'll be interacting with patients.

As far as your list, try adding a few more mid-tier schools where you think you could be happy. Note that your stats will make it a waste of money to apply to lower tier schools since they may not bother interviewing you. It's an ambitious list, and your numbers definitely make you qualified. However no one can afford to be overly confident, let alone someone without clinical experience. You've realized your ECs are the problem so just get on top of that and you should have a very good cycle. Oh and apply first thing in June! Seriously!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice so far. I do have one question though

As far as your list, try adding a few more mid-tier schools where you think you could be happy. Note that your stats will make it a waste of money to apply to lower tier schools since they may not bother interviewing you.

What's the cut off between mid-tier and low tier schools? And I've heard the second sentence I quoted is a myth.

Thanks for your advice so far. I do have one question though

What's the cut off between mid-tier and low tier schools? And I've heard the second sentence I quoted is a myth.

There's no definitive cut off per se, and everyone has different opinions. In terms of tiering for how competitive it is to get in, I'd say the top 35 are "top tier", next 50 are mid tier, and below that is lower tier. (Disclaimer: this is just random guessing off the top of my head, I haven't seen rankings lately).

And as for the second sentence, there is a little truth to it. The point is don't apply to too many schools whose numbers are totally incongrous with yours (either too obviously high or too low).

I think your list is fine though :)

Last edited: