How does one become a phlebotomist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zxcv1234

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really enjoy being a phlebotomist for summer work, and maybe to make some money on the side during college.

What should I do to earn my certification?

I would have to get it during the summer but the community college near by only offers the courses during the regular school year when I am out of the state at my university.

I am from central Ohio (that's where i'll be during the summer), if that helps.

Thanks alot! :D

Members don't see this ad.

zxcv1234 said:
I would really enjoy being a phlebotomist for summer work, and maybe to make some money on the side during college.

What should I do to earn my certification?

I would have to get it during the summer but the community college near by only offers the courses during the regular school year when I am out of the state at my university.

I am from central Ohio (that's where i'll be during the summer), if that helps.

Thanks alot! :D

It's quite a costly certification for part-time job during college - I would try to get a job at a hospital where they will train you. However, you will often will not be certified but I do not see how that is really a problem if being a phlebotomist is not your end all goal.

plouffes said:
It's quite a costly certification for part-time job during college - I would try to get a job at a hospital where they will train you. However, you will often will not be certified but I do not see how that is really a problem if being a phlebotomist is not your end all goal.

I agree - i worked at a small-ish community hospital where they trained me on-site....I may be wrong, but I think California is the only state that requires certification.