How does one begin the post- residency career search?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmsMD

Perpetual Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
FP residency goes by quickly! 3-years. By the time we match we are already getting out CV's in order for Fellowship and job placement.

I have some questions with regards to post-residency career placement, not fellowship.

How do I begin marketing myself?
When should I start?

Should I write to local private practice partnerships?
How do I know if a practice is profitable?
Should I stay away from recruiters?
What about the hokey career sites like physicianwork.com?

I am interested in private practice and ownership/profit sharing for a few years in an effort to learn the ropes before I venture out and open my own practice.

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry. The recruiters will find you.

THx....sweet! :thumbup:

Anyone know of any seminars or conferences for practice management. Or practice development for residents.

My program say's there are some lecture on it during y-3 but I have heard that it't not gr8.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, recruiters will find you, but you are better off finding an opportunity without their help. Then ask for a signing bonus when negiotiating the contract, since your employer did not have to pay for a recruiter themselves to locate your services.

I did a two week elective rotation in "Practice Management". Basically I spent time with different practices in the community learning the ins and outs of running a successful practice. I also spent some time with the CEO of one of the management groups who own several practices in the area. This is where I found most of my leads about job opportunities in my area.

My best advice about those pesky career sites, if you choose to use them, is to not give a phone number. You will be bombarded with phone calls literally within seconds from posting your profile, and recruiters can be very aggressive and pushy on the phone. Leave an email address only, that way you will have time to research any offers or opportunities on your own before you make any interview commitments.

I'm sure the AAFP website has some good resources to answer your questions. The Family Practice Management journal has alot of good information in it as well.

Check with the state AAFP chapters in the areas you'd be interested in living. They usually have some kind of job listings available.

Also, keep in mind that many of the best jobs are to be had simply by word of mouth. Use your network. Get your name out there.

Thx fellers !:D

Already signed up for a recruiter website, luckily I didnt leave my number only my email address but already my SPAM is piling up like the dickens!

I wonder if there is a website that allows MD's to hookup and build a practice together. I am sure that starting your own private practice (alone) straight out of residency can be a daunting task. Not only financially but as far as day-to-day patient visits.